on 3 February 2014
I bought this 2014 Practice Question booklet as a companion to the 2014 Handbook, and was horrified at how many errors these test answers contain. In fact, I abandoned using this as a study guide altogether, after discovering YET ANOTHER error in Test 10. Specifically the answer to question 23. The UK's constitution is unwritten. It is NOT a single document. And the handbook reference page which the answer directs you to will confirm this.

Practice Test 4 contained 2 errors:
Question 6 - Scotland kept its own legal system, educational system AND the Presbyterian church (in other words, the correct answer to the question should have been D.
Question 23 - Slavery was abolished in the UK in the 19th century (curtailed in 1807 and abolished outright in 1833). When visiting the reference pages 55-6, NO MENTION was made of 'commercial expansion and prosperity of the 19th century were sustained in part by the booming slave trade.' That happened in the 18th century, if memory serves me right.

Practice Test 8
Question 2 - The Scottish Parliament can pass laws in all three of the areas mentioned - Health, Taxation and Civil and Criminal Law. Again, this incorrect answer (Health) is shown to be wrong on pages 133-7 in the study guide.

These are just too many errors to make this a valuable study aid. Heaven only knows how many errors I might have missed in the 'tests' I took, and what might have come in tests 11-20, which I didn't bother to take.

It's a shame, because the format is good, and if the question answers were reliable this would have been an excellent study aid. However, I'll just return to the main manual for my information from now on.

I'd say this book is more than a waste of money. It's a liability. Don't buy it.

.......

Since writing my 1-star review, the publishers have assured me they are not only correcting the errors I mentioned, but have gone through and tightened up a few others as well. Therefore, I've upgraded my review to 3 stars. If the new edition due out soon is error-free, I would give this booklet 5 stars, as the format is easy to use and the topics are covered comprehensively.
55 Comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.