on 20 June 2011
The Acer Aspire One 522 looks great. It is sleek, light-weight, well designed and the green colour looks rather jaunty. The problem comes, however, when you switch it on and try to use it. The applications kept crashing and not responding. Opening and closing windows took an eternity. Just basic browsing and emailing was obviously too much to ask.

I am not techy enough to know what the problem is (maybe processing, memory, operating system...), but I am not going to waste more time and money trying to upgrade it.

After three excruciating days, I quietly put it back in its tastefully designed box. I will give it to a friend of a friend and hope she has more patience than I do.

///

I should give a quick update on this. I decided to follow all the great advice given by other reviewers. I deleted all the garbageware (Norton, McAfee, Bling, EBay, Skype, Games)

I tuned for performance: start/Control Panel/System and Security/system/advanced system settings/advanced/settings/adjust for best performance

I uploaded Google Chrome, AVG, KLite Codec pack.

At this point things were already looking a lot better, but I then upgraded to 2GB RAM (bit of a pain, but do-able)

Now the performance is pretty good and plugged into my monitor, I am really pleased with it.

Conclusion: If you enjoy tinkering around with computers and don't mind spending a couple of days setting it up, this machine is a great performer at a budget price. However, if you want something that works well right out of the box, this is not a good option.
11 Comment| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.