on 7 January 2012
I got this (without reading it) months ago, but now that Hocking has been picked up by various publishers, I received an ARC and figured I might aswell read it. There are various reasons for why I normally don't read this type of genre/story (paranormal romance/urban fantasy for YA) - and "Switched" basically reminds me of all my reasons not to.

Wendy Everly is a fairly boring character: spoiled and annoying teenager who doesn't fit in anywhere. Then the (seemingly mandatory) mysterious guy, Finn Holmes, shows up and sweeps her away only to show her that she is in fact a very important person in a society she didn't even know existed.

Amanda Hocking has basically taken the ultimate girly fantasy and mixed it with trolls - and it gets old quickly. The plot is pretty obvious, the language is average and the characters aren't particulary remarkable or unique.

It was a quick, shallow and easy read which I'm well into the process of forgetting already. It only strengthens the (possibly unfair) prejudice I have against the genre, but I must stress that I don't really read many books like this.

Overall: Light entertainment with little depth, but kudos to Hocking for coming up with what I think is an original idea for supernatural beings in YA. Beautiful trolls? That was new to me.
What's this?