4.0 out of 5 stars Singing `Mega mega white thing...mega mega white thing...lager, lager etc, 17 Sept. 2009
This review is from: SEGA Mega Drive: Ultimate Collection (PS3) (Video Game)
Being a kid of the 90's I've occasionally had the urge to grab the old Sega or SNES out from the loft and have an hour down memory lane, controlling a little sprite as they were called, usually from left to right for a repetitive bit of gaming. I've also painstakingly had to bid on eBay for some old games because mine were lost or broken, then I discovered the old machines don't work on LCD screens so when I saw this game was a selection box of 40 games I was clicking `proceed to checkout' before I knew what I was doing.

I couldn't wait to get button mashing and despite almost two decades since I'd played some of these classics, it all came flooding back, I was pulling off old level select cheats and special moves almost automatically, it was like I was possessed.

To go into all the games is pointless, if you are contemplating buying this you'll already know why you are - will it be to try and complete level 1 of Sonic in under 30 seconds? Or to finally slay that boss in Golden Axe? Well, for me it was Streets of Rage 2 that got whacked on first, upper cuts and swinging pipes aplenty. Oh joy.

I did have to take stock and remove my rose coloured glasses however before I got carried away. It's amazing how things have changed as the games that would once have kept me and a few mates up the whole night on a sleepover had lost their appeal somewhat, and as much as I wanted to rekindle my childhood enthusiasm, it just waned after a few hours. This isn't a big surprise, it's just that the depth of games are so much, well, deeper these days. But for a quick time killer without being concerned with organising a war or escaping a labyrinth within a tomb in Outer Mongolia, these oldies do just that.

What did strike me as I started getting back into it though is how horrendous the sound is! I've got a surround sound set up and OK this game doesn't do 5.1, but I found myself flicking it off anyway because it was literally doing my head in. I play the games in silence now.

You have to bear in mind that games used to retail at around the forty quid mark back then and not taking inflation into account you're getting 800 quids worth of games here for just over a tenner - now that's a bargain in anyone's book so even if they don't blow you away anymore, its still worth it for reminiscence sake.

...For those younger kids who have never played these old games, well, to put it bluntly, don't even bother with this because you've been spoilt in your short lives with next gen stuff - you will not like this.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Mar 2010 16:21:21 BDT
Jim says:
I was a 90's kid myself. This review sums it up perfectly

Posted on 10 Jul 2010 15:01:29 BDT
Tdroid says:
Thank goodness I'm not the only one who remembers the gaming days of yore. *sigh*, they don't make em like then used to. Lol. ...no seriously though, sonic 1, 2 and 3 all together? Heaven.

Posted on 28 Dec 2010 11:15:01 GMT
Andréas says:
Dude, you should encourage kids today to play this. So they can see why games were better back then. I'm a 15 year old and my all-time favorite games is a Link To The Past.

Posted on 9 Feb 2011 21:30:33 GMT
Loobie Loo says:
Excellent review! Made me chuckle at the memories it bought flooding back!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 May 2011 22:32:24 BDT
you said that these old machines don,t play in lcd ?
wrong. my super nintendo works very well on my samsung lcd.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2011 10:41:28 BDT
Coles Law says:
No way Pedro!!

Posted on 10 Jul 2011 01:04:07 BDT
Suki says:
My 4 year old son loves this game so much that he has abandoned his Wii console! Yes it,s old school but it,s a classic. So i don,t agree with your comment on the new generation because my 14 year old son with all his new generation games is also hooked,along with myself and my husband.So all in all it has brought us together and filled the generation gap instead of ,like a lot of families,each on different media in different rooms etc. we all play sonic together! Long live Sonic Long live Sega!!

Posted on 26 Aug 2011 22:42:29 BDT
Albert Guest says:
what a well written and enjoyable read of a preview, i was unsure whether to purchase this item and found your advice very helpful.

Posted on 27 Apr 2012 03:38:32 BDT
Hi, I have a question: is streets of rage and other games sluggish as streets of rage I from Sony Playstation Store.

Posted on 6 Jul 2012 06:45:56 BDT
couldn't put it better myself.. them old mega drives where the bee's knees back in the early 90's but really i can look back even more to the later 70's 78/79 and can say i played on the Atari. all you had was one line in the middle of your tv screen with two shorter lines either side of your tv and a square dot for a ball and there you tennis lmpo....!!!! we have come a long way, at 43 i'm still playing video games and loving every minute of it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›