on February 12, 2014
Like other reviewers I read this in (almost) one sitting (I find work does get in the way of reading books). I confess to being an early Marine Girls fan and even managed to persuade my mother that Distant Shore is a great album. She agrees and plays it every so often at 81.
I like my literature and my pop to be laced heavily with politics. And occasionally humour. this book fizzes with politics of the 80s and rings true of my own experience growing up in the north and later, a north-eastern polytechnic. Trust me. We really didn't have a lot to laugh about in those days. As a man, I can't claim to be a feminist; but I'm certainly aware of discrimination against women and applaud those who rally against it.
I smiled as Tracey reminisced about the joy of hearing The Smiths for the first time (hey! me too!). Was amazed to read she was also there when they played The Hacienda after performing 'This Charming Man' on TOTPs. I must confess to having stopped being a fan of EBTG until Walking Wounded came out. But after reading this, so did many others. I've happily re-joined the club after buying her last two solo albums.
I don't read autobiographies (well apart from the Morrissey one). But I haven't laughed out loud so much in ages. She has a true gift with words that shouldn't be wasted.
It isn't often you read a book that you just want to shout about to everyone that they must read. But this is it.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink