on 27 April 2011
Now I am often referred to with regards to making charts and graphs look good in current and past roles, and it was something I thought I was pretty good at. I accept that we continue to learn everyday, and I thought I would gain a snippet or two from reading this book; how wrong could I have been! I have gained insight from practically every single page and have already started to redesign some of our standard reports to put some of these learnings into place. The key thing this book shows is how aesthetics should never take precedence over emphasis of key data; the objective of the report, table or graph should always be the number one priority.

This book starts from discussing when tables and charts should be used before going on to recommend approaches for each situation. Focus then shifts to general human perception of the different data representations, which seems quite obvious after you've read it, but in truth you'd probably not pay it much attention if you attended school as many years ago as I did.

The book is beautifully bound with high quality paper used and will take its place on my desk at work as a reference for myself, but also in the hope that others will take a look and be inspired to buy their own copies.
What's this?