4.0 out of 5 stars Fab after the initial teething troubles, 3 Jan. 2012
This review is from: L.A. Noire - The Complete Edition (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I'd been admiring the graphics on this on Xbox for ages so when I found the PC version cheap in Best Buy's closing down sale last week I grabbed it. Once it was installed though I couldn't get passed the launcher screen to start with but the first result I got with google was on the rockstar games forum which told me the problem was a known issue with Comodo AV/Firewall and once I'd added the LA Noire to the ignore list as suggested everything ran fine. I haven't actually tried logging into the rockstar social club, I'm happy playing on the default profile. One note though, while the manual says no internet access is required after initial activation when I tried to run the game with it's internet access blocked [just to test] it didn't get passed the loading screen, after a reasonable wait I gave it web access again and it ran.

I'm point-and-click adventurer gamer primarily, Lego Star Wars/PotC is about as action-y as I get so I'm pleased with the more intellectual rather than action based format of the game, the occasional shooting and driving sequences are fun but I'm glad they don't make up the entirety of the game, I tend to use the 'make your partner drive' option a lot but you can drive yourself if you want to. I also like the way the screen greys out as your character gets injured, I'm not a fan of gore and it's nice way to indicate damage without it being graphic.

It is pretty easy to get promoted through the ranks, possibly too easy as a fellow reviewer said but you do at least feel you are making progress. Judging the right answers in the interviews is quite tricky sometimes, studying the realistic people to judge the right choice and choosing the right evidence to prove they're lying all help make you feel really involved in the story. I love the L.A. Confidential film, [and the book come to that], so I'm really happy with the film like introductions to many of the cases and the flashbacks of your character's past with the voice over that is very reminiscent of the opening of the film. The mentions of real people, the newspapers and landmarks you pick up through the game all help with the feeling of the historical accuracy of the game. The whole of L.A is gorgeously displayed, the graphic detail is lovely to look at, I often want to abandon the case and just admire the scenery!

The controls are simple enough, the key layout is well thought out for easy gameplay, and the onscreen reminders of what keys control the less frequently used actions are a big help. You can use the mouse for more than the tutorial says, for example I find it easier to 'steer' my character with the mouse while on foot and just hold 'w' on the keyboard to keep him moving.

I have a Win7 desktop with AMD Phenom II 960T, Nvidia GT 240 and 5gb RAM and have no trouble running it, even with Chrome left open with a load of tabs open. I've got a 1680x1050 monitor and the game displays at 1280x720 perfectly, you can alt-tab out of it and back in with no errors, which isn't something I always find with fullscreen games.

In conclusion, a nice hybrid between action and adventure games, beautiful graphics, good controls and game play, I can see why GTA fans might be disappointed but it's just what I hoped for; an interactive version of L.A. Confidential.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]