on 22 December 2012
I shall start by saying this is an Android fan's review, having owned only Android phones over the last years.

This year I made the reluctant step towards Apple products. I was fed up to see even flagship Android phones getting choked up on apps, freezing, lagging, being sluggish. Bought an iPhone 5 and was amazed that even after filling it to the brim with apps, media, etc, it still remains as fast as it was when I pulled it out of the box.

Now, with tablets, specs are important, but also I was drawn towards this one by the impressive Android 4.1.1 upgrade available. All said and done, I ordered the Note 10.1, a bit reluctant, as the price is very deep within Apple territory, but the stylus, the micro-SD card slot and the infinitely more customizable Android operating system were tempting me.

When it arrived, I ripped off the seals and started the tablet. This this and that, oh, why is it freezing when switching home screens? Without even all my apps (around 245) installed! I only installed my e-book reader and a couple more apps I usually use.

And then I started noticing that apps are lagging, freezing, multitasking is severely impeded and I could actually write on it faster than it could cope. Also, interesting bit of information, this tablet doesn't want to translate into letters the word "icloud" when handwritten. Must be some strange allergy...

Overall I am thoroughly disappointed in the product. They could've included more on-board memory (only my GPS app is ~12GB in size, well over the limit of the internal storage), as frequent micro-SD card swapping is made possible by the well placed external slot. The materials are also plasticky, even though the low tolerances of the join areas give the impression of quality, the overall impression is of a poorly built product.

Overall I would give it a 3-4/5 stars, but the price tag is incredibly steep for what it has to offer first hand. If you can shell out the cash, might as well go for the retina display iPad or the always-unavailable Google Nexus 10. This way, the product only gets 2 stars and a one-way ticket back to Amazon.
33 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.