on 27 July 2013
Most amateurs think that pros always use pro quality lenses. This is far from the truth - especially for lenses we would not use everyday. This lens could earn you serious money. My review is based on just an afternoon's work at a gliding club shooting gliders and their tow planes- both static and flying, and the gliders being winched launched and of course landing. I particularly wanted to shoot at 300mm handheld and shot at 200 ASA at 400th second in shutter priority mode on a Canon 550D plus battery grip..
I should add that I got my lens second hand on ebay for £62 including postage and the lenshood. The lens is mint so I was not upset when a rear lens cap was not included as it should have been!
The autofocus is not loud and screechy; in fact I did not notice it whilst working. Yes the lens will sometimes hunt a little with a moving object but the amount of keepers I got meant that usually the lens could focus a heck of a lot more rapidly and surely than I could. For a non sports lens this was terrifically good. Some reviewers say the lens is soft at 300mm. Well of course it will not compete with a good quality prime normal lens but I can assure all the doubters that it is more than good enough for photolibraries like alamy which (usually) asks for critically sharp material at least in one plane if you will pardon the pun.
If I could have shot a 500th of a second if the weather had been brighter then I would have got more keepers still. As a pro I can shoot at a 400th and get a good batting average but a 500th shutter speed would have been better if I could have managed it without going up to 400 ASA.
I haven't tried macro and I wish the lens mount was all metal but the lens does mount easily and does not seem to put much strain on whatever plastic is used. The gold contacts are of course metal.
Despite the slow apertures, this is a fine press lens at least in reasonable light. Yes, a Canon 300mm f2.8 is better; even the 300mm f4 would be better but this lens is light enough to live in a camera bag or car boot at all times. You try and carry around a 300mm f2.8 all day long!
Put the camera on a monopod or a tripod if you can and you have a good lens that can reach out to over 400mm (film equivalent) and is more than good enough for newspaper, magazine, or web use.It could earn you a small fortune with one shot...and as for my session with the gliders I got two images good enough for my own web site and I am picky. All in all it is very good value for money, and oh yes, my sample does not rattle. Always a good sign.
0Comment| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?