on 15 March 2009
I'm sorry, but I fail to see what is so wonderful about this rather self-indulgent tosh.

Yes, it's nicely photographed, and the performances are good - but so they should be: the cast is a magnificent one.

For me, the problem is the film itself.

Frankly, it's boring.

Pinter's screenplay is boring, centred on self-indulgent and boring people, about whom it is impossible to care. After a very short time, I want to give most of them a hearty slap and tell them to lighten up and stop being ... so boring.

Maybe that's the whole point - in which case I've missed the point completely, but
I can't help wondering if we are perhaps so in awe of Pinter and his extraordinary theatrical and filmic legacy that we daren't admit that he can sometimes be a wee bit in love with himself, and that what we are watching is not so much brilliantly clever and loaded with subtext and menace, but just ... plain boring.

Save your money and buy 'The Servant' instead. Pinter and Bogarde again - but fascinating this time. And anything but boring.
66 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?