VINE VOICEon 23 July 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Normally, I would baulk at the idea of paying more than forty pounds for an electric toothbrush, so the prospect of spending double that seems ridiculous. Surely a good manual toothbrush, properly used, is almost as good?

I don't know, but looking at the state of my teeth today and the hundreds of pounds I've wasted on dental treatment, perhaps I would have saved money in the long run if I'd invested in a better toothbrush earlier on.

The Triumph 5000 is, according to the head of the British Dental Health Foundation, "the Rolls Royce of brushes". That seems a bold claim to make and when I first switched the brush on, I was underwhelmed. The motor seemed to grind slowly compared to my Omron Sonic Style Electric Tothbrush 458, which had a superfast mode that scoured my teeth, leaving them feeling as if I'd just been to the dental hygienist. I was also underwhelmed by the five different modes, which didn't seemed to differ that wildly from each other. So far so bad.

But once I'd worked out how to use the 'Smart Guide' device, which wirelessly synchronises with the toothbrush, I began to change my mind.

In short, the 'Smart Guide' device supervises the user, telling them how long they should spend on each part of their mouth. If you press the brush too hard - with the potential risk of bleeding gums - a warning sound and light begin until the pressure is relaxed. One each quadrant is complete, a simple LCD image tells the user to move on the next section.

I was very impressed by this function. In hindsight, I had probably been attacking my gums too vigorously with the sonic toothbrush and this device is far more kinder to the gums. The timer also prevented me from cutting corners - so easy to do when you're in a hurry.

The kit also comes with three different brush heads that cover a range of needs, from sensitive gums and teeth to a vigorous plaque remover. It's very useful having a facility that allows the user to have a go at the plaque without endangering the gums and enamel.

Like the Omron, this toothbrush takes ages to charge and I whilst I only have to recharge my electric razor every month or so, the charge on this is supposed to last for ten days - so if you're going on a two-week holiday, bring the lead!

To summarise:

* Sturdy and well-built
* A built-in warning system to prevent damage to gums
* Three separate heads for different functions, plus five modes
* A glowing recommendation from the British Dental Health Foundation
* An electronic 'Smart Guide' which wirelessly connects with the toothbrush, guiding the user through the cleaning process
* Brush heads are easy to clean - no build-up of 'gunk' around the base of the brush
* Good carry cases for both the toothbrush and brush heads

* The price
* The lack of different speeds
* Not a sonic brush (if that matters)
* An instruction booklet that could be a little clearer - it takes a little while to learn how to use the device
* It takes a long time to charge the battery. People without a 2-pin socket in their bathroom may want to think twice.

Overall, it's an impressive product and my teeth (and gums) already feel better, but for the price, I'd like to see more speeds. However, if the professionals think so much of this toothbrush, that's a serious selling point for me. Hopefully it will save me from a lot of expensive dental treatment in the future!

NB - Since writing this review, Amazon have dropped the price and I would now say that this product is good value for money, as my dental health has continued to improve.
11 Comment| 174 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?