Learn more Download now Browse your favorite restaurants Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Prime Deals - Up to 50% off great movies Prime Deals - Up to 50% off great movies Prime Deals - Up to 50% off great movies Learn more Shop Fire Shop Now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

on 21 September 2012
I heard about this book after visiting the 'For Books Sake' website. Not only was I impressed with the way it promotes female writers - in a really engaging way, using social media to get people interested - but I really liked the sound of this collection of 'pulp fiction'. The best collections of short stories should be bound by a common theme, but be interesting and varied enough that they stand alone. Short Stack totally nails it. There were a range of settings, characters, narrative styles and strong female characters that I really enjoyed. Also, there were plenty of apocalyptic themes and incidences of the undead; always a winner in my book... to say nothing of the sex, violence and rock and roll that came streaming out of my Kindle page.

You can in theory, read one story at a time and be totally satisfied, but you may find that you end up reading 2, 3 or more stories in one sitting. My favourite concerned a lady called Lola; she was a showgirl - but if you think you already know her story, prepare to be surprised.

Only have one criticism of this collection - some of the stories simply seem too short and I wasn't ready to leave the scenes they created. I could also have done with more stories in the collection itself. I suppose the answer is to look out for more work by these authors in the future!
0Comment Report abuse Permalink