5.0 out of 5 stars The gamepad delivers, 28 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Nintendo Wii U 32GB Premium Pack - Black (Video Game)
Commons complaints,
- Big update: All devices have them, not a big deal just needs a bit of patience on the first day
- Slow OS: Update coming soon to fix this

If you value all of the following features then you NEED to get a Wii U
- Nintendo franchises in HD
- Local Multiplayer: Nintendoland 4/5 player is the most fun you'll have with any game. Two player no splitscreen for games like Black Ops 2, Sonic Transformed is brilliant.
- Off TV Play: Nearly all third party titles support this. Click a couple of buttons and you can play entire games including online on the gamepad screen. Playing Black Ops 2 online in bed = amazing!
- Unique gameplay due to two screens: ZombiU, Nintendoland

Then you also have nice extras like Miiverse and full Wii backwards compatability.
Nintendo have nailed it with the gamepad. I have it since launch and everyone in the family loves it, the xbox hasn't been touched since.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Mar 2013 23:52:04 GMT
I have a wiiU and love it, but some points in which I disagree.

1 - If you value Nintendo games in HD then wait until next year to buy WiiU as there's nothing here for now, even Pikmin (my reason for buying the console) got delayed and has no release date yet. No 3d Mario yet, no Mario kart, no Zelda, no Metroid. Unless you love zombiU (as I do) then just wait until at least Pikmin.

2 - Off TV play, while cool, it's nowhere near important to me or many people, some of us either dont share a TV, or have several TVs, I would not trade my 1080p 42inch TV with fantastic colors for a 480p 6inch screen with a bit dull colors. This might be usefull to some, but not everyone.

3 - The unique gameplay is fantastic, I love it, specially in ZombiU and Batman, it makes Batman completely better. But, many people might not like to look at a second screen.

4 - Your title concentrates on the gamepad, and that it delivers so here we go:
a) The resolution is way too low compared to phones/tablets nowadays, and it shows, games appear very pixelated and text is harder to read
b) Sound through headphones is a bit on the low side
c) Battery life is abysmal bad, as in 3-4 hours on middle brightness
d) Touch is unresponsive, I advise you to use your nails, it should have been capacitive touch
e) No analog triggers, which means, no proper racing games besides mario kart, you need the analog control for acceleration and brakes, it would be impossible to play a gran turismo or forza in this
f) Clunky gamepad, when it vibrates you can hear it, when you press the triggers you can hear it, unlike ps3/360 controllers, it just sounds cheap
g) For such a big gamepad its surprising to see such small face buttons compared to ps3
h) The biggest problem with this gamepad, it attracts dust like no other device ever, the other day it took me 5 minutes to clean the gamepad, it gets dirty very easily.
i) One other big issue, if in the future you need to replace this gamepad it will cost you over £100 so dont break it.

Now with all this said, bear in mind again the price of the console and the games, there hasnt been anything good released since November. Rayman legends, wonderfull 101 and pikmin 3 are the biggest releases for this console and all got delayed. Most games you can buy on other consoles for cheaper and the OS is still to be fixed. My advice wait either for games or for a price drop. I paid full price on launch, money is not an issue for me, but I dont think this console is worth the full price.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2013 10:54:24 GMT
tloc365 says:
I said 'IF you value all of the following features', not that these features are great for everyone.

1. NSMBU is great and Nintendoland while not an established Nintendo franchise, is typical nintendo quality with existing Nintendo characters. We also know that Pikim, Mario 3D and Mario Kart likely to be coming this year.

You skipped local multiplayer so I am assuming you don't get a chance to try these types of games much. Again, really great IF you can get people to play with you.

2. I have a 42 inch HD TV, but I also have a family. Many others are the same. This is an amazing feature for people like me.

3. Yes. Again 'IF' people like unique experiences, i never said everyone has to love it.

4. The gamepad, could it be better, yes of course things like better screen, etc would have been nice but would I want to pay another 50-100 just for this? I wouldn't anyway. An ipad and hd phones cost more than the entire console.
a) Screen could be better but I have no problems playing games on it at all. I play BLack Ops 2 online on it all the time and in fact many in miiverse say they have a better k/d ratio on the gamepad.
b) Never noticed.
c) Never play for more than 1-2 hours so not an issue for me, you can still plug it in and keep playing. Don't see what the big deal is.
d) Yes, but still way more responsive than the 3DS.
e) Yes, this is true can't see why they didnt include these.
f), g) & h) Not an issue for me.
i) True.

Bottom line is the gamepad is comfortable and in my opinion feels like a normal console controller while giving you all these extra features.
So I still stand by my review, IF you like the features that I listed then it's a great system. If you don't then fair enough, it's all down to your own personal taste.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2013 01:57:53 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Mar 2013 02:59:14 GMT
1 - Yes NSMBU is great, I was impressed with how it looks in HD, but in no way a system seller, definitely not worth £300. There is no killer game on wiiU as of now, maybe ZombiU but nothing screaming next generation.

2 - Everyone I know of has either 2 TVs or a tv and a computer monitor, off TV play is nice but ultimately not needed, specially if it makes the gamepad bigger/heavier/expensive/bad battery.

3 - Most if not all gamers I've talked to complained about having to look down to a second screen, it doesnt bother me too much but on a review it's worth mentioning these things.

4 - It could and it should be better, this is 2013, when £100 mobile phones already have a much bigger resolution than this gamepad. Fast forward a couple years and this will look so outdated, remember a console is supposed to last 5/6 years before the need for an upgrade. Also remember the gamepad uses resistive screen, nothing uses that nowadays. Thats cheap. Remember this console costs £300 and the specs are barely better than ps3/360. What you are paying already is what you should expect from it. Yes ipads and iphones cost more but also are much smaller, if the wiiU size of console would be the size of a small tablet while giving the same graphics then I would also pay more for it. Smaller components always cost more and the gamepad is not really thin is it?

a) I also dont have any problems playing on gamepad, in fact its more confortable to me than the ps3 controller that hurts my hands. But like I said, consoles should bring new tech to be able to keep up for 5 years, the wiiU tech is already very outdated by todays standards, namely, 480p resolution, bad battery, resistive screen, no analog triggers? It shows Nintendo cutting corners.

b) It is, search on the internet, a lot of people agree. I use headphones as to not bother people at night, this is very important. Would it cost Nintendo much to spend £5 to have a better sound chip on the gamepad? Cutting corners again

c)Issue or not, the reality is that the gamepad lasts 3-4 hours, while ps3/360 controllers last up to 25, remember those controllers are 7 years old tech and those consoles are much cheaper now. My laptop takes a lot more processing power and much higher resolution/size of screen than the gamepad and the battery lasts 8 hours. My phone is HD and the battery also lasts 24 hours. This is unacceptable for this price. A replacement battery exists that extends the life by 3x, it would cost Nintendo around £10 to have put that one instead, cutting corners again.

d) It doesnt matter, what matters is compared to current tech for such high price. As in everything uses capacitive screens now. Specially devices as 3ds and wiiU which are made for games in mind they should be really responsive first of all.

e) I got angry about this, which I found out after, I was really looking forward to project Cars, now I will spend the money on GT6 on ps3 instead. How much are analog triggers to put on the console?, around £3? Cheap Nintendo. Oh and it also means I will skip on Need for speed this month, thanks Nintendo. All for the gamers. The most strange thing is that even the cheap Gamecube had analog triggers.

I cant believe that h) is not an issue for you, it will definitely piss of a lot of people for sure. Also for £300 you definitely dont want a rattling controller screaming cheap. Surely I dont want to hear the vibration over the sound of the game, vibration was meant to be felt not heard. Proper vibration was being done already 15 years ago for cheaper consoles. It doesnt botter me much, but for £300 I wasnt expecting it to sound cheap.

I also thing the gamepad feels great, I have long fingers and the ps3 controller hurts my fingers. But for £300 in 2013/2014 I expected more. But if the gamepad means putting low specs on the console, then I'd prefer them to just have use the Pro controller and use specs that rival the ps4/xbox 3. The pro controller is the most confortable controller I've ever tried, and many people actually play with it, which defeats the purpose of the gamepad and it shows what I've been trying to say, that I like innovation but if not done well, better not do it at all.

Before you say specs dont matter, I will say I dont care much for graphics, but in 2014 and so on, I expect to not see jaggies (rough edges) on games any more. My PC had antialiasing since.. I cant even remember, really many years. I expect this new generation to fix that, and screen tearing and framerates and improve loading times and texture pop ins and a lot of issues. The WiiU fixes screen tearing, so great but I expected more. Also I had a 1080p TV since 2006, I expect a console in 2014 to output all games in 1080p native.
Lets also remember that wiiU has only 32g memory, and no DVD/Bluray playback.

All in all I love the wiiU but I would advise people to wait, there's no killer Nintendo games coming until Pikmin 3 and 3rd party games are nowhere to be seen. There hasnt been any good new game for wiiU since launch day. This month we get 2 ports and the only new game since November is Lego city, if you're a huge fan of legos then go for it, if not then just wait. I have my console gathering dust now since I finished assassins creed and zombiU. I am currently playing on ps3 games that I missed, god of war 3 is amazing, as are the uncharteds, Metal gear 4, Ni no kuni, Heavy rain, Killzones, Far cry 3 etc, most of those really cheap, and this year there is a lot more good games for ps3 also than wiiU, Tomb raider, metal gear rising, last of us, bioshock, GTA5, etc
Also my ps3 slim cost me £100 with 2 controllers and 2 games. 1/3 of what the wiiU cost me. I was forced to buy a ps3 as I had nothing to play on wiiU, thanks Nintendo. Reasons for this as I bought the wiiU at launch

1 - Pikmin 3 was supposed to be a launch game, it still hasnt got a release date
2 - Rayman legends was supposed to have launched last year, got delayed to february and now September
3 - Aliens was supposed to be best on wiiU, turned out the game is really bad and also the wiiU version is nowhere to be seen
4 - I really though against what everyone believed, that Tomb Raider would launch on wiiU, it turned out it didnt.
5 - No VC yet? after almost 4 months after launch? Well, I guess it doesnt matter as the content stays locked to your console, so if you sell it or if it breaks you loose your purchases anyway.

This all might sound like a rant of a troll, but believe me, I was the only one around that had faith in Nintendo and gave them a chance by buying this at launch. It turns out, they dont even care for the console, with them releasing a new smaller wii and all that instead of concentrating on the brand new console. Im sure if you'd been waiting for almost 4 months you'd be saying the same thing as me. They barely even advertise the console, it's like they dont want to sell it.

I remember buying the 360 at launch and having plenty of good games coming, plus the ports looked better on it. example for the first 4 months I had - Kameo, Condemned, Call of duty 2 looked better than previous consoles, Project ghotam 3, Blazing Angels, Dead or Alive 4, Dynasty warrior 5, Fight Night 3, Final fantasy XI, Hitman Blood Money, Table tennis (most impressive game I've seen back then), Oblivion (4 months after the console launched and the biggest better game I had played), ghost recon advanced warfighter (a reason alone to own the console), Tomb raider legend, Top Spin 2. The wiiU, 4 months after has, NSMBU and ZombiU. The ports of new games dont look any better than on the older consoles so i count those out.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2013 17:02:16 GMT
tloc365 says:
Well the Wii U is going to divide opinion.
For me its two best features are off tv play and two player no splitscreen.
You clearly don't want or need these so I can understand if you are underwhelmed at the moment.

I have three 32inch+ tvs in my house, but I have a family. I don't want to play in some dark corner of the house by myself.
I can now play while talking to my wife and kids or while they watch tv. This is a massive thing for people in my situation.
I will buy any multiplat game on my Wii U (I have an xbox too) because of this feature. Many others are saying the same.
I am not saying you have to like it or care, but there are many like myself who do like this a lot.

Also local multiplayer is improved dramatically by not sharing a screen in games like black ops 2.
Games like NSMBU and Nintendoland are great fun with family and friends, but you may not care for this either.

All I know is that I have still to get through half the games I bought.
I finished NSMBU with family, play Nintendoland every now and again still, play Black Ops 2 or Fifa 13 daily.
Still to have a proper go at ZombiU, Batman and Darksiders 2, only just started those. Still to even boot AC3.
And I also have some eShop titles to play/finish that i bought.

So I am very happy with the Wii U, but I can also understand that others maybe aren't if they don't appreaciate these features.
So this is why i said 'IF' you like all these things then you will like the wii U.
You don't, that's ok.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2013 19:49:36 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 7 Mar 2013 06:42:49 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2013 23:29:58 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Mar 2013 23:30:43 GMT
I had a lot of stuff to say, but I will better keep quiet, you seem like a casual player so you might be ok with wiiU and you wont mind missing the biggest games around, anyway, just to comment that you're not playing fifa 13, the wiiU version is fifa 12 in fact, with changed title, check the reviews, enjoy, and be glad you paid full price for fifa 12 when everyone else had already fifa 13 a long time before.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2013 10:57:03 GMT
tloc365 says:
I also have Fifa 13 on my xbox, played it to death and knew full well what they cut out of the Wii U version before i got it.
Yes, it's terrible that EA are so lazy but at the same time I loved the gamepad features on the demo, and again off tv play so I bought it too. If EA include all features for Fifa 14, the Wii U version will be by far the best.

I've also bought pretty much every major release and well received xbl arcade title over the last 4 years.
I have Far Cry 3 on my xbox which you mentioned in your deleted post, it's a good game but i've had way more fun playing Nintendoland and NSMBU with my family. If that makes me a 'casual' gamer in your eyes so be it, I don't really care.
Sounds like you don't have anyone to play games with, your loss.

I still have my xbox, so i will not be missing anything. Goodbye.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2013 19:12:17 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Mar 2013 19:17:03 GMT
But that's my point. For 300pounds you should not need to keep an old console for the new games. Also, when FIFA 14 drops on the ps4 with top PC graphics then the wiiU version will hardly be the best.

Also, I don't do multiplayer, I work abroad and travel a lot, hence my problem on having to transport 2 consoles. But if I played multiplayer then the ps3/360 have way more multiplayer games, there's not even a good fighter or tennis game on wiiU. As I said, if you were promised the games on launch day, and 4 months after you still don't have launch dates, and many delays then you'd be angry at Nintendo also. Just because I am a Nintendo fan it doesn't mean I will forgive them or ignore the truth.
For some reason the ps3 is selling 4 times the wiiU worldwide, and if I knew things beforehand then it would have been 1 sale less.

It just bothers me that someone praises Nintendo and gives this console a 5star review when clearly things are not so well done.

If you check my review its actually mostly positive towards the machine, I might decrease my rating soon if they don't deliver the games.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›