4.0 out of 5 stars The same, but different..., 25 Mar. 2012
This review is from: I'll Go Home Then, it's Warm and Has Chairs. The Unpublished Emails (Paperback)
I haven't read this either, but I'm dropping a star because it doesn't have a spider on the cover. Plus, the cover's yellow, which isn't nearly as cool as black.

UPDATE - having now read the book, further comments follow...

David Thorne is probably most famous for his series of real-life letters where he attempted to pay for a utility bill by offering a picture of a spider he drew. Much of his best subsequent material is in a similar vein - based in reality, documenting correspondence between David and some hapless victim.

As pointed out by other reviewers a lot of the book is indeed familiar to people who zealously follow David Thorne's site, but there is still a good proportion of new material that I don't believe has been on the website. There are also some surreal, Monty-Pythonesque jokes... a book-mark on the first page, a table of contents that includes absolute zero (-273) and the Fibonacci sequence, and a centrefold in the middle of the book.

The book is genuinely laugh-out-loud funny in many parts, has some surprising pathos on other parts. It's also an uncomfortable book, as David's humour is mischievous and works best when he has dupes or victims.

If you're a follower of David Thorne, the book, even with the recycled material, is worth getting. If you're not familiar with David's work you may want to search for him on line and check out his website, and I'd guess you would become a convert.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Mar 2012 19:08:22 BDT
waterfall says:
V Bryarley "yadda yadda???"

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Mar 2012 19:43:04 BDT
It's a technical term. I'm not sure what it means, but when people say it to me I nod sagely.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Mar 2012 20:01:23 BDT
waterfall says:
Oh right, I hate it when people say things that mean nothing, or think they are being trendy when they repeat stuff they her other people saying. Oh well, perhaps the person will explain.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Mar 2012 09:25:19 BDT
If you're tempted to get the book, you might want to do it sooner rather than later... Penguin's lawyers have sent David Thorne a "Cease and Desist" letter because they don't like seeing what looks like their logo on his cover. http://www.27bslash6.com/penguin.html

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Mar 2012 10:17:19 BDT
waterfall says:
Not sure if I will bother to get this book. I have been reading quite a bit on his website and although much of it is funny, a lot of it isn't really that sharp. Think I'll leave it and look for something else in a similar vein. Any recommendations?

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Mar 2012 10:49:08 BDT
For me, the funniest modern author has to be Dave Barry. I used to take books by Dave Barry with me when travelling, and I literally could not read them on the plane because I'd start chortling and shaking uncontrollably with laughter, which would distress the passengers around me! Then I'd calm down, and say to myself, "It's ok, Steve, you can read another page if you're careful" and I couldn't! I'd start shaking again. Pick up a copy of Dave Barry's "I'll Mature When I'm Dead". I cannot recommend it enough!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Mar 2012 10:52:51 BDT