on 30 January 2009
I got this book for my girl friend's dad for Christmas (who really likes this sort of thing), but in all honesty I had a sneeky peek inside before I wrapped it up. What I can tell you is this:

-Baring in mind that even though I'm not a grand master, by any stretch of the imagination, I'm certainly not the worst player either. This book is seriously challenging. It literally takes me at least a good 1/2 hour to work out each puzzle (or just 15 mins if I happen to have an epiphany).

-All 150 puzzles involves you being white and trying to checkmate black in two moves. Sounds easy enough? Well the tricky bit is that you have to cover all of black's possible retaliation from black's 1st move, and trying to do all that in your head is seriously tough.

-They do provide hints though so don't despair (the hints are quite cryptic, but not over the top). The answer section is clear and concise.

-All in all, its worth the money you pay and will keep you entertained (or frustrated) for months.

Enjoy

=D
0Comment| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?