1.0 out of 5 stars BUYERS BEWARE: received item certified as refurbished by Apple - not new!, 11 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Apple iPad MD328LL/A (16GB, Wi-Fi, White) (3RD Generation) (Personal Computers)
I hope this review reaches as many people as possible.

Firstly I must state the iPad is undoubtedly a 5 star product and I don't like giving 1 star reviews in such cases, as I'm aware the review is for the product, not the seller.

But I do feel the need to bring this to buyers' attention. I purchased this very item from Amazon expecting it to be new, and a *refurbished* unit was sent out.

Here's how to tell if the item is refurbished: turn the iPad on, go into Settings > General > About. If the model number starts with an F, this means it is certified as refurbished by Apple, and it is not new stock.

As the item would have been received from Apple as certified refurbished stock, I am extremely sceptical as to whether this was an honest mistake or not.

I notice I'm not the only one to have received a refurbished model.

If you are considering buying this item, note the following:

1/ iPad 4 is (at time of writing) the newest model, and is actually slightly cheaper than this model

2/ Believe it or not, Amazon.co.uk does not currently sell the iPad 3 or iPad 4 directly to customers. They only fulfil the orders on behalf of marketplace sellers. It's pretty easy to set up as a marketplace seller.

Not convinced? Type "ipad" into Amazon search, choose a department (Electronics and Photo), scroll down then select "Amazon.co.uk" as the seller. If you were to go through all 289 pages (!) you'll notice Amazon.co.uk does not sell the iPad!

I hope the above informs your purchase! I ended up sending the unit back, thankfully Amazon's marketplace policies mean returns will always be offered in such an event. I then purchased the latest iPad directly from Apple, which was a great all-round service, and the price was right too.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Mar 2013 09:26:28 GMT
Thank you for this useful comment. I have been pondering for a few weeks on whether to spend hard earned cash on this on Amazon as I trusted Amazon more than most but am now not bothering. Will end up buying from a reputable dealer on High Stree even if it costs more

Posted on 30 Mar 2013 10:16:12 GMT
What a very useful report - I am considering the purchase and generally trust Amazon for all my purchases but this is not good ethics on Amazon's behalf.

If it isnt true then I would have expected to see a counter claim form Amazon - but I dont see one so draw your own conclusion.

Posted on 8 Apr 2013 12:17:10 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Apr 2013 12:17:32 BDT
Crannsidhe says:
Thank you so much for this information.
Greatly appreciated.

Posted on 11 May 2013 17:36:12 BDT
Buzzgroove says:
Thanks for bringing this up. My wife was thinking of getting me an ipad later this year, won't be from Amazon though!

Posted on 20 May 2013 12:59:37 BDT
Peter says:
This is how good 'bad' reviews should be written. Many thanks for your useful and constructive advice.

Posted on 9 Jun 2013 10:22:15 BDT
Thank you so much,i was on the verge of buying when i saw your review,shame on Amazon and a BIG THANK YOU for this review.

Posted on 11 Jun 2013 20:47:10 BDT
Last edited by the author on 11 Jun 2013 20:47:55 BDT
Oscar says:
Well I bought my iPad 3 more than a year ago, through Amazon, the model number does not start with F and nowhere else is there an F with or without another number. The iPad came sealed in an Apple Box. I more recently bought my iPod from the same source, it also came sealed and unopened. Both items function perfectly.
It would seem that this reviewer was unlucky.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jun 2013 20:53:38 BDT
Last edited by the author on 11 Jun 2013 20:54:07 BDT
Indeed. I bought my own iPad 3 about 7 months before buying the one referred to in my review.

My copy was not refurbished, it was brand new, and I was very happy with the purchase.

However the second one I bought, the one referred to in this review, and for which this listing applies, was refurbished. On a separate note, I didn't mention that it didn't come sealed in a box - refurbished units DO come sealed in a box.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jun 2013 14:35:04 BDT
Oscar says:
You implied that Amazon was responsible for the error, they were not.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jun 2013 14:40:19 BDT
"You implied that Amazon was responsible for the error, they were not."

As to whether Amazon is responsible for the error or not, the buck of liability stops with them, however it's likely they didn't cause the error. Orders are sent out from Amazon Fulfilment Centre, which is staffed by Amazon employees, hence in my review I was highlighting the difficulty in determining who exactly caused the error, perhaps you missed the following sentence in my review:

"Believe it or not, Amazon.co.uk does not currently sell the iPad 3 or iPad 4 directly to customers. They only fulfil the orders on behalf of marketplace sellers. It's pretty easy to set up as a marketplace seller"
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›