on 23 January 2002
I saw this film in Cannes, France in March 2000 (during my first trip to Europe). I was lucky to be there for its release as it was not released in the U.S. except for in Los Angeles and New York (reportedly thanks to Mel Gibson's discontent with the film).
I rate it four star because I laughed and the movie also brought me to tears. As a U2 fan since 1984 (and thus far 33 concerts), I knew Bono was working on this screenplay since 1987. I can certainly see his lyrical ability in the script--full of imagination, breaking out of the box.
There are some scenes, mainly with Mel Gibson, that are hard to get through, but the story has deep meaning and had me come away from the movie with only positive outlooks to even the harshest realities of life.
It might be hard to get through the first viewing particularly in a living room. I recommend studying the film a bit (via websurfing) and then sitting down with an open mind, heart and funny-bone, or simply watching it more than once.
For U2 fans, this is a must (Bono has a cameo or two).
What's this?