on 5 September 2012
I already have a normal bike, so I bought this folding bike so it fits in the car boot for countryside riding, camping trips...etc. I was looking for an OK quality bike at an affordable price, and Viking model fits the bill (£125). I don't believe for a second that the original price is nearly £200.
The item arrived less than 2 days after order and well packed. My first impression is it's really heavy when lifted out of the box, it must be same weight with my other bike. I guess the weight is ok for a guy, for it's heavy for an average woman like me, even for a short distance, because the folded shape is awkward. You can't literally "roll" it along with one hand like other more expensive models as you see them on youtube. I imagine carrying it on the train or bus will not be comfortable.
I was worried about how to put it together, so I was pleased that the bike comes 95% completed, with only the pedals and the bell needed to be fitted. There are two tools provided and I don't use them. There's no helpful instruction either. Here's what I did step by step:
1) unfold the main frame, secure it into the lock position. I can't describe exactly how to do it, but with a bit of common sense you'll figure it out. It's not too difficult even for someone useless with tools and virtually have no knowledge about bike like me.
2) unfold the bike kickstand so it stand firmly on the ground. Raise up the stem and again secure it into lock position, similar way to the lock at the main frame. You'll see that the bike levers are not in the right position, they face downward too much so it's hard to reach for them. You'll need to unscrew the handlebar and turn it until the levers are a the right position for you, then screw it tight again.
3) raise the seat up to desirable height and lock it.
4) fit the pedals. The folded pedal is on the right side when you sit on the bike. The folded pedal looks different with some metal elements on it. Use 2 fingers to press where it says "push", at the same time you pull the pedal outward, it becomes loose then you can fold it vertically, saving a little more space.
5) fit the bell on the handlebar
6) pump the tyres
Then you are good to go! If you are a guy with some basic tools you should be able to fit it in less than 1 hour. I had to wait until my man showed up and helped to adjust the handlebar, fitting the pedals and bell.
I gave it a test in a park nearby, tried different gears when going uphill and downhill. It works pretty smoothly. The brakes are different from normal bike though. Right brake for the front wheel and left brake for the rear wheel. To fold and unfold the bike smoothly, you need to practice.
I want to register the bike as a precaution step against theft, although I don't think I would leave it alone for long time. When I don't use it, it will be stored at home or in the car boot. I thought each bike has a unique frame number, but this model doesn't. It has a code at the bottom, but not unique. I know this because I bought another folding bike a few days later - Kingston Freedom. The Kingston is exactly the same with this Viking, except it has black frame and brown seat (because my husband finds silver or white are too ... feminine!). In fact these 2 models are from the same manufacturer, and they have the same code at the bottom bracket. There's nothing unique about each bike, unless you somehow mark it for easy identification.
I give the Viking folding bike 4 stars for now. It may be changed after using it on different grounds for some time. So far I'm pretty happy with the purchase.
33 Comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?