on 28 August 2008
My condolences to all readers of Confessor.

Firstly to those that actually finds this tripe digestible. I pity that you are able to enjoy the stale writings and musings of a totally self absorbed man. But I emphathise with your loyalties, it certainly has been a long journey to get to this finale; 12 years, 11 books and £100's spent.

But I must ridicule your critique (or lack of) for this truly awful book. How many times have we seen this in popular culture, where a legendary franchise has opted for the quick buck and mass exploitation of its fans over the protection and integrity of its art? AND STILL SOME OF YOU LAP IT UP! Perhaps, with such an insatiable public appetite for sub-mediocre fiction we should all start to release our own philosophies dressed up as unexciting, predictable stories?

Secondly to the readers of this fiction, akin to me, who have patiently stuck with it, in desperation rather than hope, to see a fulfilling end to a one-time compelling saga. Alas, our instincts were correct; Goodkind was never going to achieve redemption, the crimes of the previous 6 books (with the exception of Faith Of The Fallen) were too great and our better judgment lost out to curiosity and loyalty. I sympathise with you, I emphathise with you and in especial, I question with you; How could such inventive stories and vividly realised characters finally morph into Confessor? I would say laziness, arrogance and greed.

And lastly I would like to send my condolences to Voyager, the poor publishers who agreed to print these books. To those at Voyager, I pity your proof readers, the PR people, the printers and all the professionals that had to deal with Goodkind and his latter day SOT series.

I would not be surprised if this effort is Goodkind's last. He now seems devoid of any invention and enthusiasm for his work and probably grew to hate the SOT over the last few years; it would certainly explain his dire performances as an author. I can now put him on the `could-have-been-great-but-sacrificed-earlier-brilliance-for-immediate-exposure' pile along with the Wachowski brothers and countless others.
11 Comment| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?