on 11 October 2006
I was disappointed with this - as I enjoyed 'Notes from a small island' and 'A walk in the woods'. Bill Bryson takes us on a road trip around small town, mid-west America. But to be honest - I wish he had not bothered to tell us about it.

Bill has a great narrative style, steadily metering out his anecdotes with a purposeful, deliberate pace. Some of his stories made me laugh out loud (albeit briefly), but most were dry and almost humourless.

The main negative is that almost all of his insights are downbeat, criticising the society we are hoping to learn about.

In fact, much of America has plenty going for it. I have been to some of the places Bill disapproves of: Colonial Williamsburg is a great day out; Washington is a very fine capital with the tremendous Air & Space museum; and New York (of course) has something for everyone.

So to summarise - I would recommend you stay away and go with Bill's other works.
What's this?