4.0 out of 5 stars (64GB )Fast card - Great for raw video, 30 Jun. 2013
This review is from: KOMPUTERBAY 64GB COMPACT FLASH CARD CF professional 1000X 150 MB / s speed RAW Extreme 64GB UDMA 7 (Accessory)
I now have two of these cards (64GB) and was prompted to purchase them after Magic Lantern unleashed the raw video capabilities of the Canon 5D MKIII.

What is important is that both cards I have received have worked with no issues from day one and continue to perform flawlessly. After a little research into these cards it appears that one of my cards has the slower SM2236AB controller, however this card will still give sustained write speeds of around 94MB/s which is enough to write continuous 1080p raw @ 25fps with the ML firmware.

The cards fit perfectly into all CF card slots I've used in camera and on card readers. They format as you'd expect any drive to (exFAT formatting for the 5D MKIII is great). The read an write speeds, although never as good as suppliers state, are fast enough to satisfy the most demanding shoots. In both photo and video modes these cards have never let me down. I have not lost any data on these cards as of this time and have been shooting with them every day since I purchased them.

I would advise 64GB to be the perfect size for raw video as they are faster than the 32GB and 128GB cards and offer enough storage for most work - I wouldn't recommend shooting raw in a docu environment as you'll chew through data in no time. That's a no brainer!

To confirm, both my cards will shoot continuous 1080p @ 23.976p, 24p, 25p raw video without breaking a sweat. I can also get 25p from the 3x crop too most of the time, but this result changes with each build. Bear in mind that depending which ML hack (at this stage - things change everyday with ML) you use can determine whether or not you need to "warm up" the card/camera by running off a quick video with skipped frames. I'd suggest reading the ML forum regarding this, but as of the latest (27th June) build I don't have to warm up the card/camera.

I'd recommend these cards to anyone that needs a fast card, wants to save themself a whole chunk of cash and wants to dabble in ML raw video. They do everything I want them to.

Edit: My faster card (SM2236AC) allows me to shoot 1920x1280 at 24p continuous almost every time and when I select 25p the firmware states I have about 2000 frames (however I have recorded past this and not had any skipped frames). ML firmware states the card is writing around 100MB/s at this resolution and frame rate.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Sep 2013 03:31:41 BDT
Ali Holloway says:
Update: Recently on a shoot one of my Komputerbay 64GB CF cards reported an error (it happened very fast, but I believe it stated a footer error) in camera after shooting approximately 42GB. When I attempted to ingest the card into my DIT station the card would no longer read and only appeared as a 32MB drive attached to my card reader - this could not be formatted.

I attempted to initialise the card and run deep scans with various recovery programs I own, but none could access the storage device. My assumption is that the controller has failed hence I can see a small area of storage (that can't be written to) and not the total storage of the card.

I have sent the card back to Komputerbay (return address is in Birmingham) with an RMA and expect to receive a replacement card soon - I will update when this happens. I have been in contact with KB Tech Support and they have gotten back to me on all occasions, however there is little support they can offer for an error of this nature other than replace the card once it is back with the company. On a work related note, this was not ideal as it cost me an additional half day on re-shoots which have now taken place and went smoothly (thankfully).

My other 64GB KB CF card is still working perfectly - I am now reassessing to what degree I use these cards in semi pro/professional environments.

To be updated...

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2014 13:48:46 BDT
how much footage (in terms of time) can you get shooting raw at 1080 on the 5D iii? I want to shoot a short film using this method, and I'm unsure how many of these I should buy.

Thanks in advance.