on 11 May 2012
I am a big fan of Garth Nix's Old Kingdom Trilogy, and was very excited to see a new teen title from him at last. A Confusion of Princes is a very different kind of story - definitely more sci-fi than fantasy. There was a great deal of jargon to get used to at the beginning. Some aspects of the story were alienating; such as Prince Khemri's arrogance and lack of concern for others and all the mind-and-body altered beings etc. I still haven't quite got my head around all the see-through panels in the priests' heads. I was beginning to wonder whether the book was for me, despite the excellence of the writing. I'm the sort of reader who likes characters I can identify with. It's always a tricky task to present an initially unlikeable character.
However, as the book progressed, I was really, really glad I hadn't given up. I found I was drawn into the story more and more. The personal journey of Prince Khemri became fascinating and was so cleverly handled by the author. Ultimately this is a dark and complex tale of good and evil, instinct and learned motivation, family and love. And the gradual revelations about the running of the empire keep the reader guessing until the very end. I thought it was brilliant.
0Comment| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details