5.0 out of 5 stars Bodyclock finally in order!, 21 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Lumie Bodyclock STARTER 30 Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock with Sunrise and Sunset Features (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Lumie Bodyclock

Although Lumie fail to advertise it well, the product in question can behave as both an 'alarm clock' (with sunrise & sunset lighting options, as well as an audible alarm for back-up) and an ambient light, meaning that if you once had a bedside lamp, you could simply ditch it and use the space for this product. This in itself is a wonderful concept since I previously had a habit of waking up to an alarm and feeling around for the right device to bash. Using the product as an ambient light is not a bad idea either, and I have to give kudos to Lumie for making it such a subtle but simple feature.

I'll get straight to the point; Just how good is it to wake up to a simulated 'sunrise'? Really, really good... For myself, it is the equivalent of someone slowly opening the blinds in my bedroom and letting a warm sheen of light enter, which slowly makes me more and more alert to the point that when I do open my eyes, I think to myself "Yikes, did I leave the light on?". The difference I've felt compared to the more startling "BEEP-BEEP... BEEP-BEEP' almost giving me a heart-attack is ridiculously positive. Its incredible to think that a simple light has stopped me from waking up with persistent yawns and a heavy head.

Operating Instructions are included in a very simple and easy to read manual that, unusually for English labour, appears more akin to an Apple product. A 42 watt bulb is obviously included (with a 2000 our lifetime!) and which you are required to easily screw in, as well as a Support Line card (in case you have any unforeseen problems) and the U.K power cable, which is attached to the device and not un-pluggable.

The only caveat (if you could call it that) this product has is that in principle, its not as straightforward to operate as a traditional alarm clock. Whereas the latter will usually have dedicated buttons to control the alarm being on or off, the Lumie product requires that 90% of is operation be through navigating its 'menu'. And since the display itself relies on feeding back words through its 4-digit panel, you'll be wanting to keep the manual handy in-case you need to make further adjustments to your settings.

The Good news however is that once you're set-up, you shouldn't need to fiddle much with the product. The menu button also acts as that to turn the alarm on and off, while you can manually raise or dim the light with the + and - buttons. And thats pretty much it! Although in an ideal world, I would have still suggested using a matrix display that could clearly represent letters/numbers rather than the older 'digit' style.

You can even choose the digital display to turn off by itself when the device is not in use, which is a nice feature not only because it saves energy, but I've found at the night the display to be just a bit too bright to keep on constantly. And if you want to know the time, just tap the menu button and it appears temporarily!

If Lumie were to improve the product in one particular area, then I'd have to settle for something quite specific and thats the buttons themselves... They're noisy! Particularly when you're in bed and the individual next to you can hear loud 'clicks' as you start fiddling. A simpler, or should I say softer push button system would have been nicer.

I should also like to mention that the top surface of the product will get hot after prolonged use, so don't let little fingers play with the admittedly absorbing glow! Vents are placed at the back of the shell to allow some heat to dissipate.

Reflecting on its price, this is a genuinely excellent value product based purely on my improved enthusiasm and reduced 'grogginess' when I wake up. Its all to easy to wag away what the product essentially is - a bulb in a large dome - but the science behind our sleep patterns cannot be disputed. Its the reason our eyelids allow some natural light to pass through since receptors tell the brain "Oi, you can get up now!" when enough light is present, and thats what this product aims to do - to simulate natural sunrises. And it clearly works.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Oct 2011 17:46:35 BDT
MyKeyReviews says:
Cheers for the detailed review, I think I may have to invest in one in the future. :)

*Added to wish list*.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2011 17:48:47 BDT
Picard says:
No worries J.P! :) And don't worry, I'm still looking out on the ol' kettle situation for you haha

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Oct 2011 01:41:54 BDT
MyKeyReviews says:
Hehe, thanks. :)

Posted on 13 Nov 2012 18:34:23 GMT
Glúniarainn says:
Nice review. Can the display be dimmed or switched off?

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Nov 2012 18:37:19 GMT
Picard says:
Absolutely - you can choose between having the LCD display just turning off when the alarm is turned on (ie when you're ready to sleep) or you can set it to stay at a sim level, with a brightness of your choice.

I personally like it off as the LCD, like with other clocks, can be distracting :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Nov 2012 18:43:01 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Nov 2012 18:43:24 GMT
Glúniarainn says:
Thanks. That's the decider for me, as I like to sleep in a completely dark room. Will order one of these now as waking up on winter mornings here in Iceland is a major struggle! :o)

Posted on 2 Mar 2014 20:49:53 GMT
Emily says:
Thank you for the detailed review! I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind. :) Does it work also as an ordinary lamp? Perhaps for bed time reading and such? And how much of a room would it fill up with light?

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Mar 2014 18:53:39 GMT
No problem!

Yes it will work as an ordinary lamp, and is very effective for it too. Keep in mind however that the light is not focused onto a specific area; rather it 'fills' an entire space. For bed time reading I've found it to be perfect, because there is no lightbulb reflecting onto my iPad.

With regards to room sizing, I can only offer a comparison to a traditional lamp that I owned previously. This was a 'luxo' style lamp (with head and neck) and it did an okay job of giving the room in question night time glow. The room was roughly 4 x 3 metres, so only small. However, the Lumie did a far, far better job at filling this space with light, and was nicer to put on in the early evenings.

I hope that helps anyway!

Posted on 19 Dec 2015 22:26:38 GMT
jsy44 says:
I see on the Lumie website that the batteries are only guaranteed for 12 weeks! How often have you needed to replace them please?

In reply to an earlier post on 7 May 2016 16:50:53 BDT
bob says:
you should! thay where on the gagit show chn5 some time polly was testing it in a rv I think. so check the gagit show.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›