on 3 July 2000
As a happily childless 23-year-old woman, who is likely to remain 'sans enfant' for some years yet, I have to conclude that either this book was completely awful or else I missed something due to my age and 'young & free' lifestyle. Do women like Gina and Cyd actually exist? I think not! Mr Parsons, what world do you live in? A world where highly intelligent women willingly sacrifice their careers to have a baby, but then throw it all away immediately at the slightest provocation without even trying to patch up what seems to be an otherwise good marriage? The same world where women who are not so intelligent but nevertheless really sweet and affable and sexy work as waitresses and name their children after ageing Eastenders characters? The women in this novel were just laughable, the author hasn't even tried to make them real.
And the descriptions of 'darling' Pat, the 'angel' with the 'eyes from tiffany', I mean, excuse me while I throw up. I'm sure fathers do think the sun shines out of their sons' rosy bottoms, but Tony/Harry really went overboard with the shameless starry-eyed adoration. However, saying that, I thought the parallels between Harry and Pat and Harry and his dad were quite good, and some parts were poignantly written. But as for crying and laughing out loud, I'm afraid the novel was just too weak and sloppy. And over-hyped. Harry was a self-obsessed bore and was too busy wallowing in self-pity to be a remotely engaging character. It's a shame because if the characters had been good and the dialogue realistic, I may have enjoyed it.
What's this?