5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Great Smart Phone!, 24 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Samsung I8150 Galaxy W Sim Free Smartphone (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I bought this phone a week ago, and there had not been any user reviews on this phone since then. As I really really like this phone, I think I am obligated to provide some reviews to help the others.

Prior to my purchase, I did some research between this phone, Galaxy S2 and HTC Desire S for roughly two weeks. At the end I had decided to go with this one, and yes I think IT WAS THE RIGHT CHOICE! (*huge grin*)

Comparison
-------------------------

Although on Amazon it said this phone would be released on the 18th October, for some reason Galaxy W was already available in the O2, Carphone Warehouse and 3 shops! so I had a chance to look at the phone physically. The reason that I didn't go for Galaxy S2 was I think it was slightly too big. Yes it is really powerful but I don't need all of those powerful ability and I found it a bit noticeably big to carry around. Also I didn't go for HTC Desire S as, to be honest, in my really personally opinion, I didn't think the Desire S looks good in the 'Uni-body' design, I preferred the old Desire S design. I could not get used to the four captive buttons at the bottom (but I found Galaxy W's two captive buttons were totally intuitive to me) and I found that there are some performance issues with the user interface too, for example the screen transition is not as smooth as an iPhone. On the other hand, with 1.4 GHz processor I think the user experience of the UI on the Galaxy W, especially the smoothness of the UI, is really really close to the iPhones IOS.

The Galaxy W is roughly as big as the HTC Desire S, but it is lighter (quite a lot lighter), a bit thinner, and prettier I think. Again the look is really subjective I think. But the mesh look and feel of the plastic back cover really works, I think. Unlike in some video preview the guy thought it feels cheap, I think it feels solid, firm and looks great.

Performance
-------------------------

I am a software engineer, and my colleagues sometimes referred me as the 'Performance Freak'. OK I admit, I cannot tolerate low performance electronic gadgets. But Galaxy W, is absolutely blowing my head off. For last 7 days of usage, I had never found any performance issues. All tasks have been running smoothly (note they are in the multi-threaded environment, and strictly speaking iPhone isn't!); UI has not been frozen up or anything like that, and has always been responsive; Not a single system failure, the Android system has been stable for last 7 days.

Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja have been running smoothly as well, no lagging whatsoever. Comparing to this, Angry Birds on Galaxy Ace does not run smoothly though!

Display
-------------------------

The display of Galaxy W is really impressive. I have to say, it is not as good as iPhone or Samsung Galaxy S2, and not as good as Sony Xperia Arc. However it's good enough for £270 middle range smartphone, it is not a high-end phone after all. The Print-On-Paper effect is pretty obvious on the Galaxy W LCD I found, makes the text both sharp and soft (not contradictory I think!) and the pictures really bright and stand out.

One of my colleagues commented on my phone today, he said "Your phone's display looks much better than my HTC Wild Fire S". Please note during the day I set the brightness of the phone as quite dim but he still reckon it's better. I think the problem of HTC Wild Fire S is that the picture looks quite far away from the glass, so there is a gap in between consequently it doesn't look as good?

Battery
-------------------------

It comes with a 1500 mAh battery, well, not a lot I can say, nothing surprising unfortunately. As I know that, with heavy usages, e.g. lots of gaming, GPS and internet browsing, it won't last a day. Normal internet browsing, some facebook posts, some music, maybe it will last a day and a bit. There are loads of APPs to optimize your battery performance anyway, so please look into that if you are interested.

For last three days I've not played with the phone a lot, as I've been a bit busy last weekend, and not had a chance to play with it. I managed to use only 25% of the battery on day one, 35% on day two, and if I really pushed it, I think it would've lasted over three days. Oh well, I only made two short phone calls I must admit.

Others
-------------------------

I found the internal memory is quite generous. I can't remember what the quoted internal memory was, but when the phone arrived, there were roughly 2.7 GB of available space on it. I was told this is much more than the HTC Desire S? My mate told me he struggled for the available internal memory all the time.

Software, well, what can I say, it's an Android system you know. It's all about the freedom, you can copy in or out anything you want, install anything you want. On top of that, I found the built-in Samsung's Kies Air software is really useful though, you can use it to sync files (photos, music, apps, phone books, SMS and any files) wirelessly with your PC. It's easy for a quick drop of stuff, when you are feeling lazy to plug it into the PC. I installed a number of useful apps from the Android App Market, namely the 'Go' series, Winamp, Advanced Task Killer etc. Consult any Android forum you will know which ones I am talking about.

-------------------------
Conclusion
-------------------------

To conclude, as the title says, I think Samsung Galaxy W is a great smartphone and this is definitely my best gadget I bought this year. If you are looking for a middle range, middle spec'ed, middle priced phone, I think it's one of the most popular choices. I chose it over HTC Desire S (with similar spec and price), and I am glad I did. Finally I hope this review could be useful to you.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Oct 2011 18:05:04 BDT
Stephen Avis says:
Nice review!

Can you tell us what the display like in sunlight?

Many thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2011 19:33:14 BDT
Timmy says:
Hi Stephen, many said that the display in the sunlight is a bit weak. Oh well, to be honest, in strong sunlight, do you find iPhone that incredibly bright still? I doubt it. I've never owned a iPhone I must confess but I used to have an iPod Touch which is a bit similar, and I don't find big differences between that and my Galaxy W. If you set the brightness at the highest level I think you would think it's acceptable, it is acceptable to me anyway.

PS, reading anything under the strong sunlight is not good for your eyes. :P

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2011 19:44:18 BDT

Nice review Tim

Posted on 27 Oct 2011 07:19:20 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Oct 2011 09:10:55 BDT
Ivo Santos says:
Hi Tim, first of all thank you for your review. I have been searching for reviews for more than one week because im interested in this phone and couldn't find one so precise like yours.

How about the quality of the camera?

And i have another question probably a silly one, this samsung comes with portuguese language?

Thank you in advance.

Posted on 27 Oct 2011 11:04:48 BDT
E. Skifjeld says:
Thank you! It's hard to find reviews of this phone. But I have one question: How is the call quality, I mean when you are talking to others, is it loud and clear without any disturbing sounds? Is it stable?

Posted on 29 Oct 2011 03:22:43 BDT
Sarath says:
hey timmy that was an out standing review even the many so called websites review websites cant give a review like yours...I want to know one thing what is its internal memory is it 2 gig or 4 gig or are there two types. In samsung website it is showing 4 gig but other websites are showing it as 2 gig. please

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2011 01:35:47 BDT
Timmy says:
The quality of the camera is OK! It's a 5 meg camera if I remember correctly. Under the good source of lighting the quality is quite good. The led flash is REALLY bright, brighter than iPhone 4, I can ensure that! But really, if you want good quality picture you should use a dedicated digital camera, the phone camera is for quick captures in my opinion....But, I think, it's acceptable.

Yes it comes with Portuguese built in!!

Anyway, if the phone doesn't have the language you want, you can always download the language pack from Market (called 'Locale' or 'More Locales') and IMEs. For example, Chinese or Japanese, because it doesn't come with those pre-installed.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2011 01:41:10 BDT
Hi E. Skifjeld,

The calling quality is good and stable, no problems I experienced in last two weeks at all! Sound is load and clear, I really like the 'Speaker Mode',as it's much more clear than my old Sony Erricson phone.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2011 01:47:28 BDT
Hi Sarath,

It's definitely NOT 2gb. As stated in the review, when I received the phone, there was 2.7gb available internal space. You know you have to use the stupid algorithm to calculate memory space? when it says it's 4gb and what you get it's only 3gb and a bit? Consider the System is using some internal memory space too, I think it should be 4gb. I think HTC Desire S has less than 1gb internal space??

The System RAM is roughly 360mb, where most of the time there will be about 100mb available. If you are want you can optimize this by installing the 'Advanced Task Killer'.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›