on 21 February 2009
hmm Volta, where do you start?
Well I must say it was a HUGE dissapointment for me. I like half the album, this is unusual for me. I've loved all her previous work from Debut to Medulla.

I think the major flaw with Volta is it's lack or flow and cohersion. i.e Innocence's lyrics don't fit the beats at all. Declare Independence doesn't fit the album at all.

Earth Intruders is a cool song, as is Wanderlust and Vertebrae by Vertebrae. I was keen on all the "sound effects" of boats and rain going on for several minutes before or after the track has ended.

I think what I found baffling is she has what could've been potentially her most sucessfull album to date with the likes of Earth Intruders and Wanderlust, but decided to put random sound effects on.

As weird as the brass is I actually warmed to it, especially on Vertebrae by Vertebrae which she actually sampled a song from Drawing restraint 9. I guess it seems to lack anything substantial, and pad it out with noise

This album I think should be avoided by the average fan. It's for collectors. Certainly not advised as the first Bjork album to buy.
2 people found this helpful