5.0 out of 5 stars Great Unit, Works Perfectly For My Needs, 3 April 2012
So I've had this unit for around a week now and I have pretty much got my head around it. Let me start by saying that this NAS will take a little time to work out and you will need some computer experience. Having said that you don't need to be the head honcho in an IT Department, the instructions are pretty good (you can download them from the Synology site before purchase if you like) and as long as you put some time aside you should be just fine.

I purchased mine with two Western Digital 2TB SATA 6Gbps Power Saving Internal Hard Drive OEM - Caviar Green which work perfectly in this unit. Installing the drives is very simple, all you'll need is a Phillips screwdriver.

I'm not going to go into all the technical details and setup procedures, these details can be found in other reviews and on the Synology website.

Before buying this unit I was using a number of external HDs, on one of the HDs I had my entire iTunes library, including movies, iPhone/iPad apps, Podcasts, Books etc. My main concern was if that drive was to fail I'd be stuffed as I had no other backup. That was the main reason for my purchase of this DiskStation, I wanted to use it in a RAID 1 configuration (for those that don't know what RAID 1 is, it basically copies the data to both drives so you have 2 copies of the information, if one of the drives was to fail the other drive has exactly the same information) giving me peace of mind. I have now copied my entire iTunes library on to the Synology and it works perfectly, I use a Sonos system and it accesses the NAS without issues and plays all my music. Not only that but I can also stream my movies to my Apple TV without having my computer on (this was a bonus, I didn't realise I'd be able to do this) by downloading the free DS File Synology app from the App Store and then using AirPlay to send to my Apple TV via my iPhone or iPad....excellent.

Another bonus for me was being able to access my iTunes library no matter where I am (bearing in mind I didn't buy it for this reason), Synology also offer another free app called DS Audio which allows you to access your music library through your iPhone, I didn't think streaming my music via my phone using 3G would work, I was expecting constant buffering and dropouts but it works fine, I can stream albums via 3G without issues and if was a major problem you can just download an entire album to your phone...brilliant idea. It's like having iTunes Match but on your own server!

I would also like to point out that I'm using the DiskStation wirelessly (as in I haven't hardwired it to my computer) and the speeds are more than acceptable when transferring files, I thought it may be much slower. It takes around 5 minutes to transfer 3GB which I think is pretty good.

Before buying this thinking it will solve all your backup needs be aware that it only gives you stability against on-site drive failure. What it won't do is keep your files safe if say for example your house caught fire! If you want the best protection possible buy this to ensure you have 2 backups of your files and then make sure you have off-site backup such as online backup. I use an external HD drive and backup my Synology drive to it once per month and leave it at my friends house. I'm not totally convinced by the online backup services for many reasons but that's an entirely different topic altogether.

I'm very happy with my purchase and would definitely recommend it, it's also nice and quiet which helps as it is in my living room! If you're looking for a NAS I don't think you can really go wrong with the DS212J.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Jul 2012 23:08:04 BDT
Sally says:
when you say "I would also like to point out that I'm using the DiskStation wirelessly ", do you mean Synology DS212J 2 Bay NAS Enclosure can connect to the router wirelessly?

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jul 2012 23:23:05 BDT
Reviewer says:
Hi Sally,

No I was referring to the fact that my computer was wirelessly connected to the Disk Station and the NAS is attached to my router.

Posted on 26 Jul 2012 21:59:25 BDT
SteveJ says:
I have been successfully using the backup to the Amazon S3 cloud that it is supported by the built-in network backup software. I had the usual problem of the initial backup being very lengthy due to limited broadband upload bandwidth. The only problem I had was finiding the keys on the S3 service as the documentation wasn't very clear.

Posted on 9 Aug 2012 01:46:40 BDT
Patrick Fox says:
Pity you put a referral link in there, I was almost going to believe your review

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Aug 2012 10:20:05 BDT
Hi Patrick,
I share your reservations about reviews with links. However, my experience with the device is consistent with the review and there is some more independent confirmation in the recent PC Pro review of the device where it was awarded their A-List status.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Oct 2012 13:55:27 BDT
Ben says:
hi Steve,

Was thinking of doing the same but was worried about costs for the S3 service. If you don't mind me asking how much does it costs on a monthly basis?

Cheers

Benjamin:-)

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Oct 2012 15:10:28 BDT
Hi Benjamin,
You get 5Gb for free (as long as you opt for the standard service not the low-redundancy service). You can also set it up to email you monthly with the cost. Pricing for more than that is listed on the S3 site and is $0.125/Gb per month.

Regards
Steve

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 20:52:47 GMT
Could anyone let me know if it would it be normal at the set up / installation stage to take 6+ hours (63% complete) running 'verifying hard discs in the background' ? I have installed 2 x Western Digital 2TB SATA 6Gbps Power Saving Internal Hard Drive OEM. Many Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2013 21:02:16 GMT
SteveJ says:
Yes, mine took this long. There is a lot of processing to do as it reads and verifies every sector.
Regards
Steve

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2013 22:27:02 GMT
Thanks Steve - panic over :)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›