on 21 March 2006
I originally picked out Gillian Riley's weight loss book to deal with my yo-yo dieting and in there it mentions that it's necessary to quit smoking before dealing with overeating, which brought me to `How to stop smoking and stay stopped for good'.

I smoked 15 a day on average for about 13 years, 15 a day was probably on a good day, it could be into two packs some days.

Gillian teaches you to retrain your brain to face every situation without resorting to smoking. I didn't try to repress any cravings - I dealt with them consistently.

By following Gillian's advice to read a bit of this book every day for the first few weeks and by using her `outline' every time I had a craving (e.g closely following the advice in the book) -I was fairly easily able to stop without using any other aids.

It really wasn't to bad, although I was maybe a little bit more emotional than normal in the first 2 months. The only thing I didn't do so well on, was following the instructions on not gaining weight. I have gained a few pounds but this is probably because I wasn't following her instructions in this area as closely as I was with the rest of it. Also I tend to gain weight and comfort eat to easily anyway - which is why I picked up her weight loss book in the first place.

It's been 3 months since i've been off the ciggies now - I intend to start using Gillian's method for weightloss to loose the few pounds I have gained, and I will post an update in the future as to how that goes and how I get on long-term with staying stopped.

UPDATE: It's now been 8.5 years since I stopped smoking soley by using this book.
What's this?