on 13 April 2008
This is the most powerfully persuasive and concise book I have yet read on this subject and I have read many others,including Darwin, Dawkins, Dennett and many others.
In my opinion it is unbeatable and should be compulsory reading in all secondary schools.
For a man who was brought up as a regular practising Christian, in the USA, (a land where Christian fundamentalism and fanaticism is just as rife and dangerous,as in countries where Islam follows a similar trend), he presents a totally unbiased and impartial, strictly evidence based, critical appraisal of the Judaeo-christian scriptures.
He accepts only that evidence which is provable and rejects "faith statements" based on the fallacies of "believing what it says in the scriptures solely because it is allegedly the word of God". If you read the bible (old & new testaments) you owe it to yourself to read the arguments that oppose them, before making up your own mind.
Like the author, I too grew up in a Christian household and was indoctrinated for the first 30 years of my life. I regret that I never thought to question it, until my 62nd year and feel I have been living a delusion for the past 32 years. So I feel a little embittered, that I was misled for so long. Thanks Jason. Retired professional SW England, UK.
1212 Comments| 210 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?