on 6 July 2011
I am heading back to University in September to teach primary school and obviously a pre-requisite is to be very capable in Maths. Maths has always been something I have struggled with, putting me infront of maths questions generally left me feeling overwealmed, frustrated and a failure.
I purchased this book as it had already received good reviews and I have to add to them. I usually don't review books but if you're in the same boat as I am (soon to be 'was') then this book is definately worth buying.
The book is set out with a really good flow, teaching you the skills and then giving you little practice questions at the end of each mini section. It has been really easy to pick up and do a few short sections throughout my day, on lunchbreak, while cooking dinner, it's set out in a way that it's easy to fit around your life rather than having to sit down and read huge chunks of information. The book is explained in a way that is not patronising, but still helps you to get to grips with the basics, step by step so it makes complete sense. There are lots of little drawings, sums and diagrams to help, it doesn't just tell you what to do but it shows you.
I have to say although I won't say I 'enjoy' Maths, this book has definately helped me to face my fears. It has taken me from completely intimidated by maths, to willing to approach a maths question with an open mind, and the condidence that I can learn a new skill and succeed.

A must buy in my book! (no pun intended)
What's this?