5.0 out of 5 stars A TV classic resurrected - 3 cheers for DVD, 23 July 2010
This review is from: Mystery And Imagination - The Complete Series (All the remaining episodes) [DVD] [1966] (DVD)
I used to love this series when it was on TV. My friend & I were avid watchers and would compare notes at school on Monday. Early episodes were introduced by a character played by David Buck (tasy - whatever happened to him?) who also featured in some of the stories (e.g. Room 13). It is a shame more of the early episodes were not kept - others that particularly come to mind were the chilling Lost hearts (who could forget those bloody holes in the children's chests?) and one that featured Bruce Forsyth in the Canterville ghost. Fall of the House of Usher was very good so I'm pleased that is here.
Classic drama based on stories by the great writers of supernatural & horror (MR James, Sheridan Le Fanu etc) that featured big names - pity there is a such a shortage of quality drama made for TV now.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Sep 2010 00:26:51 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Sep 2010 00:28:09 BDT
A. Prouse says:
The 1966 'Lost Hearts' (not so much the 1973 remake) was absolutely terrifying. At the time, it jolted the blue **** out of me for weeks, and I still have key scenes (such as the open-chested bathers) branded in my memory. I can't believe that episode, in particular, no longer exists! It's almost worth building a rocket that can exceed the speed of light to race out into space and overtake the broadcast waves to re-record it. A terrible loss. And having no way of seeing it again makes it all the more spooky, a personal ghost that's impossible now to put to rest. Those early, grainy 'Mystery and Imagination' episodes in B&W were really something else altogether.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Sep 2010 11:28:46 BDT
S. Finch says:
We'' have to hope that someone has a tape hidden in their attic that will eventually come to light as some old TV programmes have. It seems awful that the TV bosses discarded so many classic programmes when there is so much rubbish on today.
PS I've discovered that David Buck is now deceased.

Posted on 21 Nov 2010 01:38:46 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Nov 2010 01:39:01 GMT
D. Tyrer says:
I remember watching these as a kid and the one that sticks out in my mind is the episode with the two children scratching at the door....it still gives me shivers thinking about it. I think that was maybe the Lost Hearts episode.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2010 10:35:54 GMT
S. Finch says:
Yes - that was Lost Hearts. I've seen other versions of this story but none has been as scary as this episode from Mystery & Imagination. Chilling.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Feb 2011 10:03:50 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Feb 2011 23:44:41 GMT
R. Lang says:
I still remember the Lost Hearts scene where one of the dead children rises out of the bath tub!
Don't know why they can't or won't make them like that anymore, but I do know that for plays like this, video tape cameras were used as that gives you the viewer the feeling of being in the scene, where now drama is filmed with "real film" so it's like watching a movie..horrible and cold.
Satellite SKY tv should give us a channel that just shows vintage tv as far back from the 50s to say 1980.
There is so much still in the vaults of all tv regions, and the companies have no idea what's in there.
The Exorcism is another great BBC ghost story/play made in 1972.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 May 2011 13:49:24 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 10 Mar 2012 13:16:27 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 18 May 2011 18:16:41 BDT
S. Finch says:
I've never heard of this series & a web search failed to find it. Sorry.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jun 2011 14:19:12 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Jun 2011 14:19:32 BDT
Eli Crund says:
I thought I was the only one left who remembered Bruce Forsyth as "The Cantervile Ghost". It was wonderful and a complete surprise at the time. What a pity it's been lost.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Dec 2011 21:52:38 GMT
IT NO LONGER EXISTS? The 1966 LOST HEARTS? Oh, no. I was hoping and praying to find it. I will never forget the terror this episode instilled in me - I was 12 and have never forgotten it. I saw the remake and found it very tame by comparison.

Is there nowhere in the world, now, that a copy of LOST HEARTS can be found? I am devastated.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Dec 2011 21:57:09 GMT
I was 12 when I first saw LOST HEARTS. It scared the life out of me. And haunted me for years. I have tried for a very long time to track-down a copy. The 1973 remake was so tame by comparison. I am really upset to read that no copy now exists, anywhere. A tragic loss to enthusiasts like ourselves - the children and adults so fortunate as to have seen it on tv.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›