Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now flip flip flip Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

on 6 April 2014
This is the first book in the Partials Sequence series. I loved it!

Kira is a sixteen year old girl living in a post apocalyptic Long Island, along with the few remaining humans after a biochemical war. I liked this character a lot. She has a lot of compassion, bravery and determination. However, she finds out a secret that will change her life forever.

I was recommended this book by Amazon, since I am a fan of dystopian YA. I decided to give this book a try, and downloaded an audio book copy to listen to whilst doing chores. I loved the story so much, I also purchased a Kindle copy to read.

Narrated by Julia Whelan, the story is a fantastic post-apocalyptic dystopian novel full of twists and turns. Kira is a girl facing an insurmountable challenge (capturing a Partial and trying to find the cure for RM). However, she has a host of friends that go with her on her journey. The story is told through Kira's eyes, and the reader goes through the ups and downs of being a teenager - the angst and the frustration of being old enough to work and have children, but not exactly treated as an adult either. The characters were quite interesting, but Samm was an enigma. Yes, he's a Partial, but I was dying to know what he thought of things. It would have been nice to have some of the latter part of the story from his point of view. However, that wasn't to be. There is political intrigue that threatens the populace, not to mention the RM disease. There is also hint of attraction between Kira and Samm that smoldered in the background and, even though Kira already has a boyfriend, I was secretly hoping that they would get together.
The narrator did a wonderful job in bringing the characters alive, but I was a little disappointed that she made Kira sound a bit whiny. Yes, teenagers and angst go hand in hand, but when I read the story rather than listened to it, the voice in my head didn't sound the same. I suppose it's the interpretation we, as readers, make when reading books that brings the book to life in the mind's eye. I am now wanting to read/listen to the next book in the series, Fragments and the final installment, Ruins, which has not been released yet.

Dan Wells has written a fast paced, action packed post-apocalyptic YA novel that kept me riveted from the first page. I loved his writing style, which kept me highly entertained and the story flowed wonderfully.

I highly recommend this book if you love books like The Hunger Games and Divergent or YA, Science Fiction, Dystopian or Post-Apocalyptic genres. - Lynn Worton
One person found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse| Permalink