on 18 June 2011
I have been an avid fan of all the Thoene books since picking up my first one about 15 years ago. I love all the different series and go from Vienna and the outbreak of WW2 all the way to subterranean tunnels under Jerusalem. I love the way I can immerse myself in the story and I can actually imagine being there and watching scenes unfold. My favourite books in the AD Chronicles were books 4 5 and 6 which deal the the Annuciation, Nativity, time spent in Nazareth before the birth of Jesus, time spent in Bethlehem after the birth and then the horrifying scenes of the massacre of the babes in Bethlehem.

Throughout the previous AD Chronicles there has been main story and also a side story if I can call it that. There has been a general build up to Jesus going to Jerusalem on that final Passover journey. Small asides which move towards the crucifixion. Jesus implies to Marcus Longinus, the Roman Centurion, who follows him that one day Marcus would stand at the foot of the cross at Calvary and so I thought in this last AD Chronicle that the crucifixion would take place. I was clearly wrong, it doesn't.

The main story of Abigail, the "Woman at the well" is another tale which is told in a descriptive and compelling way. However for me it seemed to drag along, I have never flicked through a Thoene book the way I did with this one. I was actually glad and disappointed when it ended.....

So what now I wonder? AD Chronicles are finished. 12th Prophecy ends with a letter written by Peniel who we meet in a previous book. This is the blind beggar who is healed by Jesus and goes on to be His scribe, strangely, the letter describing the martyrdom of Abigail etc is dated 551 AD......How can that be?? Peniel would have been long dead by then, or is Peniel another Eben Golah, a man who doesn't age and pops up in every generation. If I've missed something important and obvious, please let me know.

Still a Thoene fan but not sure where they go from here.
What's this?