VINE VOICEon 17 August 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is, as my header says, a big book - 632 pages in my edition. It is also a detailed, elaborate book that takes time to establish its storyline and protagonists, of whom there are quite a few.

When I was reading I was engrossed. GGK is a consummate story teller who imbues his characters with depth and emotion. But having put it down, I found myself picking up other things to read, and I recall being about half way through and thinking that while all this set up is fine and dandy, it was time things started happening. They do, of course, but I'm afraid to say I gave up the wait, and jumped 150 pages to the last chapter. I know that at some stage I"ll re-read this properly, but not right now.
Don't get me wrong - this is an engaging, absorbing book with sympathetic, intelligent characters, but it's a tad too leisurely for me, there's too much politicking by men, and I couldn't quite believe in the love story - ideally I'd give it 3.5 stars.
|0Comment|Report abuse| Permalink