4.0 out of 5 stars The best compact I've ever used, 8 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Nikon COOLPIX S9700 Compact Digital Camera - Black (16.0 MP, 30x Zoom) 3.0 inch OLED with Wi-Fi and GPS - (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Camera)
pent 3 weeks researching which compact camera to get and arrived at this. I have a Canon 60D with access to pretty much any lens you can think of, but I need a point and shoot for when I don't have my kit on me.

The things that drew me towards this camera and model than any other:
- It has a CMOS sensor; the type used in DSLRs.

- A whopping 30x zoom and large backlit OLED viewing screen. A shame there is no optical viewing, only digital through the screen; I am yet to find out what this will be like on a sunny day.

- I find the pop-up flash pretty impressive and easy to bring up/put back. The flash easily fills a whole living room, perfect for evening house parties. Would've been better if you could swivel the flash so you can bounce it off walls (Just me being picky really).

- 1080p video recording is easy to start up and crystal clear, along with clear stereo sound, and has a HDMI plug in (along with the usual USB as well).

- Got a brand new one off ebay for £70 less than the RRP! (They won it in a competition or something) Couldn't say no to that offer.

- Looked at other compacts to try and find the same vital specs, but only arrived at bridge cameras, which I'm fed up of lugging around - might as well get another DSLR.

- Image quality is great. Not RAW quality, but still impressive for such a compact camera.

- Feels sturdy, made of the right materials.

- Interesting creative options such as monochrome, vividity setting and a toy camera style to name a few.

- Easy to use interface

Things that put me off (so far):

- A bit of a struggle to produce a nice, clear image in a shadowy area without the use of flash (but again, that's very picky of me).

- Not as good as I hoped when it came to capturing movement (just a movement of a subject's hand) without a flash.

- I only shoot in manual mode; it's easy to adjust the aperture and shutter speed, but am yet to find out how to adjust the ISO settings; some images appear grainier than expected, but again, that's without flash.

- The GPS/Wifi/electronic compass... Why would ANYONE want that on a camera??? I've shot on many locations throughout the UK and abroad for over a decade or so, some multiple locations on the same day, and I have never thought to myself "I wish there was GPS or WiFi on this camera!"
They could've cut the cost down on that, and spent more attention to detail on what makes an actual camera, rather than a cool gadget.

- The price. I can't really talk about this factor after getting it cheaper. I don't think I would've been as impressed if I spent over £200 for it. I'd have definitely kept on looking for one with the same specs minus the silly GPS/Wifi/compass.

Conclusion:
It would be 5 stars, but I'm taking off a star for the novelty non-camera functions, the slightly disappointing image quality, it's difficult so far to escape motion blur and it's quite expensive.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Jan 2015 18:34:38 GMT
Something wrong if you can't see the benefits of GPS,We travel all over Europe taking hundreds of pics,your memory is obviously much better than mine that you can remember where every pic is take.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jan 2015 11:19:09 GMT
David says:
Simply unload my memory card onto my pc and backup into a titled folder straight away, then wipe the card clear. Just as you would put the relevant photos in an album back in the day before digital.
Standard practice. No memory needed, unless you're country hopping, in which case if you do need geo tagging, i suggest you need to take in a place more through all senses not just sight - then you relive every moment through all your senses in the photographs.

Geo-tagging is probably helpful for journalists who hop to one country to another, but even then, they use big DSLRs and they simply beam all their images from their laptop back to their office at the end of each shoot.

In other words, there is no need for it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›