1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 8 April 2010
This review is from: Green Darkness (Paperback)
I don't think I can do justice to how awful this book is. From the first few pages I began to doubt the positive reviews that convinced me to buy it (that and the fact that "Katherine" by Anya Seton IS a great book). The characters are mostly unlikeable and, judging by the dialogue, I get the impression that the author has a bee in her bonnet about British attitudes to Americans and foreigners in general. It was partly set in 1968 so maybe it just reflected the times but I found it uncomfortable. I was hoping it would get better when the "Tudor" part of the book began. It did slightly but not enough for me to continue reading. I gave up I'm afraid. It probably didn't help that I started this right after reading a really excellent book - "Portrait of an Unknown Woman" (roughly the same period in history but in a totally different league altogether).
For a good read that combines the theme of reincarnation and Anne Boleyn could I recommend Threads by Nell Gavin.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Feb 2011 16:42:03 GMT
Jo Jo says:
I couldn't agree more. After reading Katherine by this author I was really looking forward to a good read. I was disappointed, this is a dire dreary book, very basic writing style, unlikeable characters that I just couldn't warm to. I never give up on a book, but after struggling through the 1968 portion (and that was hard work!!) I was hoping for better in the Tudor period. It was not to be. I read the first two chapters in that era and gave up. Nowhere near the class of Philippa Gregory.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Aug 2011 13:42:48 BDT
No thank Heaven, nothing like Phillipa Gregory, about 100% better and not pretending to be a factual work.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Aug 2011 10:30:31 BDT
Jo Jo says:
I don't believe that Phillipa Gregory has suggested that her books are factual works, that's why they're called historical "novels" They are based around the events and people of the period, and gives the reader an insight into life in the period. Unlike this totally unbelievable flight of fantasy. More science fiction that historical. I thoroughly enjoyed Katherine, but this was nonsense/

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2013 16:57:55 BDT
A very late reply. Ms Gregory touts the fact that she is an historian and her books are accurate, I have heard her say it and its on her website. Green Darkness doesnt pretend to be real and can be unnerving, but its a great read, unlike TOBG which is dross from start to welcome finish.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2013 15:12:47 BDT
Jo Jo says:
I think you'll find that what Ms Gregory says is that her historical novels are historically accurate, not that they are factual works, and there is no doubt that she is an historian. As an historical novelist she has to put words into the mouths of fictional characters, but the events happening at the particular time will be historically accurate. I personally prefer the works of Elizabeth Chadwick and Sharon Penman, both historians and both historical novelists whose works are also historically accurate. If you read your history, you'll see that The other Boleyn Girl is historically accurate. Whatever the merits or otherwise of the aforementioned authors, it doesn't alter the fact that this book was drivel.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Feb 2014 16:39:34 GMT
TOBG is not accurate as Mary was almost certainly older than Anne and lived the high life while at the French court. Hardly the innocent little soul portrayed in the awful book. Neither did she happily settle down as a farmers wife, a ludicrous suggestion. Nothing anyone could ever say would reconcile me to her Boleyn series. As I say, dross from start to finish.
Did, and do, enjoy Green Darkness though!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›