on 6 October 2010
Firstly, let me say I am a HUGE Nigella fan. I've lusted over this book for ages. Something to treat myself to once the kitchen refurbishment had been completed. However, it was not clear that this is the US edition of Forever Summer. (I can only presume that Style Network is a US TV channel.)

It's very confusing. Baking temperatures are only listed in farenheit, e.g. 425F with no gas regulo. Besides talking about 'cilantro', 'corn syrup' and 'zucchinis', it's measurments require quite a bit of calculator action. For instance, tablespoons vary. A UK tablespoon holds 17.7ml while the US version holds 14.2 ml. so 2 UK tablespoons equals 3 US tablespoons and British pints differ to US pints, UK pint measures 20 fluid ounces while the US pint holds 16 fluid ounces. Phew, at least she doesn't use the term 'a stick of butter'! I just can't figure out how much that is.

I can't bear to throw a Nigella book away. I thought of donating it to a charity shop, but I'd hate to put someone off Nigella because they're confused by the US bias. So I'm keeping it to give to the next American I meet. Meanwhile I'll be buying a UK edition for next summer.

I just think it would be far more helpful if Amazon listed this as a US edition rather than 'Style Network's'.
33 Comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?