2.0 out of 5 stars Hollow, 19 May 2009
This review is from: Resident Evil 5 (PS3) (Video Game)
I downloaded and played the demo first like most people.
First impressions were NOT good so I decided not to risk buying it.

My brother bought the game and told me how fantastic it was. And after watching him at his house play against one of the bosses it looked very impressive and fun. So after he'd cleared 5 times I ask to borrow it and see what all the fuss is about.

Right, first the African setting. I must say that this is pretty offensive and tasteless. You supposedly go into a country with what seems like crazed maniacs, apparently taken over by a virus. The are hostile and dangerous. They attack you so you shoot them! Then you loot their diamonds, precious stones and cultural artifacts. You then sell them for money Which in turn you use to buy more weapons. Then you shoot, blow up and kill some more 'mindless' Africans. So the cycle continues throughout the game.
Am I being too sensitive or is that essentially what it is?

Now lets talk about the gameplay. Controls are ridiculously slow and numb. Because they are SO uninspiring any fun that was meant to be had just got taken away.
With all the varied weapons and the customisable options it seemed like a good idea. Does it say something that I found the Sniper rifle the most fun and efficient weapon to use? Beating a boss just didn't really require skill and wasn't satisfying when you actually beat one. Following the on-screen prompts of pushing a button(s) at the right time isn't exactly great fun. If I wanted that then I would have got Guitar Hero or something!

Unlike a game like MGS4 where the story unfolded gratually and you actually wanted to know what the next part was. I just really wasn't bother about this story at all.

Can't really fault the presentation and sound as they are excellent. Thats about all its got going for it really.

Resident Evil was groundbreaking and original. And I'm all for a series that tries to reinvent itself. Just look at how successful and 'more' fun the GTA series turned out.

No elements of what made the original or earlier games great remain. Gone are the shock moments. Reading the notes, diaries and stuff lying about in the game used to give you an insight and were interesting because they built upon the story. I just skipped most of them after reading the first couple of paragraphs.

Whats more funny is that at the time of me writing this review, I am actually at the boss battle with Wesker. Is this the last battle? I have no idea. I died the first time round trying to get Sheva to blow him up with the rocket launcher while I was getting a pummeling trying to distract him. Now I just am not bother about finishing the game. Really, I'm not. This is the first time where I've not felt compelled to finish a game.

Its a strange feeling. Theres something wrong but its not specific. I feel kind of hollow and empty - like a shell.

Kind of like this game.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Oct 2009 16:52:12 BDT
Trigger says:
"Right, first the African setting. I must say that this is pretty offensive and tasteless."

In what way is part of Africa having succumbed to a lethal parasitic virus offensive and tasteless? Would you have been less offended had it been set in... rural Spain, for instance?!

"Just look at how successful and 'more' fun the GTA series turned out."

Actually, I - and seemingly many others - would say GTA's increased realism and more sombre tone has made it a lot less fun. I still really like the game, but losing the sometimes wacky edge from Vice City/San Andreas has made it less enjoyable in a lot of ways.

Also, nice work with the spoilers on the Wesker battle. People who haven't played the game might read this, you know.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Dec 2009 09:56:28 GMT
Firstly you didn't even give it a good review yourself so I don't really understand why you are picking at mine.

A review is about opinion and my opinion on the subject of it being set in Africa and the things you have to do there has racist undertones and a slight subliminal message to them. Is it wrong that I feel offended by it?

Kill black people, rob their jewels and riches, use said looted riches to buy more weapons to kill more black people. That is basically the gist of it. But I'm sorry for being too sensitive to something as blatant and stereotypical.

When I mentioned the GTA series I was not referring to GTA4 but GTA when it first hit the PS2. I was referring to GTA3.

This game gave me a REALLY bad feeling that I've never experienced before. Thats why I felt compelled to write a review on it.

I apologise to all those that I've spoiled it for
‹ Previous 1 Next ›