on 10 May 2010
Haven't we all sometimes wished that we could go back in time to see how some event really unfolded? I know that I have. The historians in Connie Willis' time travel books can do precisely that. But sometimes things don't turn out exactly as planned, the historians don't end up precisely where and when they are supposed to, they struggle to get to the drop when they are to report home, and when they manage to get to the drop it's either not possible to access or just doesn't open to let them through. When you are a young historian in the middle om wartime England, this is cause to worry. Why haven't the recovery team come to get me? What's happening at home in 2060-Oxford? Did I do something that changed the history of the world?

I adore Connie Willis' books. It was wonderful to meet again Colin and professor Dunworthy from "Doomsday Book" and "To Say Nothing of the Dog", and the historians in Blackout are as likeable as Kivrin in Doomsday Book and Ned & Verity in To Say Nothing of the Dog. I think I'll have to reread those two books while I wait for the October release of "All Clear".

I like being left with cliffhangers when I know that the solution is just a few months away, so I'm not taking away stars because of that. Oh, and I think Connie Willis is funny. Always an advantage. 5 stars from me, and I'll preorder All Clear.
0Comment| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?