on 13 June 2008
I begun learning Hindi over 14 years ago and took the initiative to learn the Devanagari Script there and then. I bought an expensive Linguaphone Course and it really got me up and running.

Like all things though, my interest faded and every now and then I'd make an effort to crack on learning Hindi. A few years ago I came across the Teach Yourself Hindi pack, book and 2 CDs and my interest re-awakened. The TYH Courses are easier to grasp than the Linguaphone one, the latter of which came with 6 poorly recorded cassettes. Also, the grammar sections are a whole lot easier to grasp so I found myself progressing quite quickly.

However, I decided to buy this three CD set (Hindi Conversation) for the car and this has been an enormous help. Although I can picture the words as they are spoken (in the Devanagari script too) you don't really need to know how to read the written word in order to progress and ingest the course. I've sharpened up my pronounciation, come across a whole new library of conversation and I've surprised myself by how much I actually know!

The course is well arranged, the diction incredibly clear and the situations described in each unit are fun. You can learn Hindi with a smile on your face (and other drivers may look at you strangely!). Play the CDs over and over again and you cannot help but pick up everyday Hindi. Your friends will be amazed (as are mine every time I speak in Hindi/Urdu at our local curry house!).

This set along with the main Teach Yourself Hindi pack and, very useful, the accompanying dictionary - aimed at English speaking people learning Hindi (unlike other dictionaries) are all you need to become fluent in a most beautiful, accessible language. You'll have fun and you might even make a few new friends along the way!
12 people found this helpful