on 26 March 2009
I am probably not the typical player of this type of game, I am a 40 something female who normally plays stuff like Professor Layton, Scrabble, My Health Coach and My Spanish Coach...so why Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars?

It may be explained by the fact that I caught the GTA San Andreas bug when I owned a Playstation 2, when I sold the console on because it simply stopped getting played due to lack of time, I also sold San Andreas, with genuine regret because I had spent a lot of time playing it and really enjoyed it (as far as I got). The DS was the perfect solution to me, because of its size and transportation advantages - being able to take it away in my camper van (with charger), at home whilst the other half is on the computer or watching TV and even to work to play in my lunch break if I wish - meant that I had more time to enjoy playing games.

When I saw that Rockstar were bringing out a GTA game for the DS I thought "Yippee!" as although I love my more conventional well-behaved games, it is always fun to have a walk on the wild side!

To me, as an adult who has never been in trouble with the law, this game is simply a great exercise in escapism - a bit like watching the early Die Hard Films. The other day I got up, had breakfast, fed the cat, stole three cars for Uncle Kenny and bought some coke which I then sold on for an enormous profit. After going shopping and having lunch I recruited some triad gang members, pinched a taxi and picked up some fares for fun. Then it was time to get the dinner on. GTA Chinatown Wars is fun and a bit of a laugh, and not to be taken seriously under any circumstances.

Game play wise, I had been concerned about the possible limitations the DS's size may have presented, but so far I would say it copes well with the obvious necessary downsizing required and I have quickly adjusted. The mapping/routing system makes getting around easier than I expected although it is taking me longer this time to get used to where I am on the map as a whole. I don't feel 'familiar' with the city yet, although I have only been playing a few days so probably just need to give it a bit more time, although you could argue that having the routes planned out makes one a little lazy when it comes to orientation.

Stealing many cars has the added feature having to either 'hot-wire' the vehicle or input its security code, courtesy of the stylus, this makes challenges such as an early one, of having to steal three cars in 'six hours' - actually more like six minutes - far from a doddle and requiring some serious planning and co-ordination - for me in any case.

To summarise, I am pleased with it so far and look forward to playing the rest of the game but maybe as an older player, I personally would be careful not to rush the experience and make sure I take breaks from it from time to time, to do other things, like write this review!!!! and head back to the real world.
33 Comments| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details