5.0 out of 5 stars What a time-saver!, 30 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Veho VFS-008 Smartfix Scan to SD Stand Alone Slide and Negative Scanner (Office Product)
Now here is something worth buying! I have spent 10 years trying to scan my 101 boxes of positive colour-slides and countless 35mm colour and B/W negs, using traditional medium price 'sweep' type film scanners, as time allowed. Quality has always been a bit iffy, lacking in tonal range, but as I use Photoshop for correction, dust removeal, perspective control etc, etc, I have laboured on. I calculated that with the years left to me, I'd never finish the job. Then I saw this unit using a CMOS sensor of 5 meg. The price was too cheap to be any good but I bought it having read between the lines of the various reviews, some of the writers obviously expecting miracles at the price. It was an absolute doddle to use and so quick compared to the old scanners I was using, 4 secs scan time each against up to 1 minute for the same size image. Loading is dead easy and I use a blower brush after loading the slides or negs into the holder to remove dust. Colour and B/W negatives come out very well with a very good tonal range needing little correction. Colour slides being inherently of a very high contrast range come out fine provided there are no very bright highlights which affect the auto-exposure setting which tend to burn out. This might be the only downside to this effective scanner but I have managed to complete all my slides in a few weeks with only a small number being discarded, but these were not good slides to start with. However, with tens of thousands of negatives to start on (40 years worth of 35mm format, before going digital in 2000), I look forward to speeding through these over the next few years and we'll see who gives out first, me or the scanner. The fact that the unit can be used remotely is a bonus point and the use of a standard card (SD) is even better. I actually use the unit attached to the PC and delete the images from the card after every box or film (takes a few seconds). The range of holders is good and they are solid compared to some other flimsey plastic devices you see around. The problem you get with black lines along one side is easily cropped where it occurs. It is no problem for me but for someone not used to using editing software, I can see their aprehension. I suggest that the bundled software be used for every scan session before saving into the final file. Colour negs have different background dyes according to the manufacture and the 'adjust colour' will bring it back to normal. Black and white negatives will usually benefit from a bit of contrast adjustment to suit your taste. All told this is a remarkable piece of kit at a stupidly low price. My congratuations to the manufactures (and the retailers). I would be interested in any future higher spec models providing some adjustment before scanning for the problems with colour-slides but this might take away from the extreme ease of use. I am not a professional photographer, just a keen amature wishing to record my life's old fashioned film hobby of the family etc. and I have no vested interest in the sales of this product. I just like to give credit where it is due.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Feb 2012 16:15:55 GMT
A very helpful, honest review. Thanks for taking the time to describe your experience in such detail. I'm pretty sure I'll go ahead and buy one...I'll just read a negative review be certain!
Alan, Carlisle

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Feb 2012 21:29:04 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Feb 2012 21:32:43 GMT
Woody 16 says:
It's almost a full year since I made the original review. After a summer lay off doing other things, I did more scanning over the winter and everything worked as before. Have I changed my mind? No! This is a good investment and even if it fails I will buy another immediately. To give you an idea of time saving, I needed to scan larger negatives from 127 negetives on my old (expensive scanner). Each one took so long so long to scan, that I wrote memoirs while waiting until after 100 scans, I had an 80 page book.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Feb 2012 09:00:24 GMT
The only less than positive review I read refers to a disappointing result when copying slide negatives. As intend to scan slide positives I should be OK. As I'm not able to borrow one from a friend, rellie or neighbour, I'm going ahead with the purchase. They will then all be after a borrow of mine. Such is life! Thanks again for your comments.
Cheers,
Alan

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2012 08:07:50 BDT
Woody
I was very interested to read your positive review of this scanner but have also read a negative one which concerned colour, whereby the colour from the scanned slides appeared to have a blue tinge and colours were not as sharp.
What is your impression of colour capture ?
Many thanks Tim

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2012 09:26:46 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Apr 2012 09:28:17 BDT
Woody 16 says:
There is no device at this price that will do eveything you ask of it and colour may indeed be a problem for some. However, I always do the scans and then use one of the Photoshop software packages to crop, amend contrast, saturation and if necessary sharpen the image. In practice, the scanning might take me 5 minutes and the after-treatment 30minutes, but then I am fussy! I find that a good original can give excellent results especially with black and white negs that need no enhancement. Most of my colour slides have faded over time and colours changed to the yellow or red end of the spectrum (Kodachrome being the one that doesn't change) and these need serious colour treatment but can be corrected. Colour negetives have many varying colour 'filter' dyes according to manufacturer which are normally filtered out during printing but a good scanner will have adjustment for these dyes for your selection. The Veho is a simple device and does not have these built in. But this can be corrected using the Photoshop fascilities. If you do not have Photoshop, I suggest you are not serious about your photos and want total simplicity in which case the Veho will suffice for most of the tasks. However, I would suggest you consider the cheap and even free offers for colour correction software. It can make a world of difference and even simple tasks can bring an ordinary snapshot into the good photograph range. Woody

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2012 09:50:55 BDT
There is some very good free software avalible. Photoshop is not always needed. Nikon have NX2 which you can download from their camera site. It has some easy to use tweeking tools. Much quicker then poweing up Photoshop.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Feb 2013 15:43:34 GMT
Last edited by the author on 1 Feb 2013 15:59:31 GMT
G. C. Cooper says:
I agree with everything Woody has said above. For the money this piece of kit is great.
I have an issue though trying to use Nikon Capture NX2 soft ware - I have the full licence. The software will not open the images , I have contacted Nikon - and sent some scanned images, they could not open them either they said:
"I am unsure why your images are not opening as all JPEG files should open in Capture NX2. This could imply that the third party scanner that you own is the reason that your images cannot be opened in Capture NX2. The files that you scan could have some metadata not recognised by our Capture NX2 software; thus, preventing this software form allowing you to open your scanned images in Capture NX2. Therefore, I can only recommend that you contact the manufacturer of your Veho Smartfix Scanner and ask them for advice or assistance about the images once you scan them through your scanner".
I will try and do this next, but if anyone know of a solution please help!!.
Depite this issue I would still recommend the product.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Feb 2013 17:29:56 GMT
Woody 16 says:
I am still using my original Veho scanner and I am still very happy with it but I do sympathise with G C Cooper. Although I have no problems opening and editing the scans with Photoshop, I have had similar difficulties with the software supplied with other cameras and camcorders which has caused havoc and in one case returned the offending item on the basis is was causing so much of a problem and affecting other software too so much so that I was unable to use my PC normally. In some instances though with other images from different sources which wouldn't open in my normal edit software, I have opened the image file in any software that does work and just saved it again as the same jpeg image. Whatever happens during this process, it then opens normally. I can't suggest however that this will work for everyone. I do still have situations though where, rather than plug my various cameras in to my PC for downloading image files, I use an adapter with the SD card, and various files will not open using my normal Windows media window so I open the folder on the card and have to select the files manually.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2013 21:58:35 GMT
G. C. Cooper says:
Great suggestion Woody 16 - when I read it I thought - "why didn't I think of that" anyway first try saving with Microsoft picture manager, no luck same issue, however second try saving with "Nero Photo Snap" I could then open with the Nikon Capture.
Thanks for your help!!

Posted on 28 Mar 2013 13:19:52 GMT
len edwards says:
Good review thanks! Thanks for all the detailed info which is very useful. Will def get one as I was unsure as there are so many! Helpful comprehensive review thank you!!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›