5.0 out of 5 stars Game Changer, 30 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I do not know what I was expecting when I bought this book. It had a pretty cover and was going cheap so I thought I would give it ago. I had heard good things about it, I thought I might like it but I wasn't expecting to be blown away...yet I was. Consider me officially blown.

Angelfall is one of the most exciting books I have read in a long time. It has a lot going for it. The plot line is mesmerizing you live and breathe it from the very beginning until the end. It is a compelling story of family, sacrifice and love.

I found the characters incredibly engaging. Penryn is a strong female lead, a lot stronger than most girls you see in Young Adult books. The lengths she is prepared to go to for her sister is something we have seen before (see The Hunger Games) but it still proves to be touching. Raffe, the lead male character, is also strong and the perfect partner for Penryn as she travels across a ruined America. They are characters that are easy to get behind; easy to like and before you know it you realise you are caring about them.

The romantic relationship between them is a slow burner and manages to get under your skin even though nothing really happens. In fact calling this book a `romance' book is probably lying. There is little to no romance in this at all, just a shadow of what is to come in future books in the series.

Angelfall does get a few things wrong. There are a few times where Ee stretches reality a little too thinly and it becomes a little hard to believe. These moments are few and far between and do not greatly affect the reading experience. Also her world building is a little bit unbelievable. In six weeks America seems to have deteriorated an awful lot. (However, I haven't been through an apocalypse so how would I know)

What Ee does with this book that many other authors struggle with is her scene building. From a lonely feather falling from the sky to the image of Angel Gabriel hovering over an under siege Jerusalem. Every scene is crafted with beauty that makes for a mesmerizing experience for the reader. I think it is the main reason that the book is almost impossible to put down.

Another thing Angelfall has going for it is the brutality and violence. It really pushed the boundaries of how brutal, gory and violent a YA should be. In my mind it was all justified and was there for the benefit of the story but those with a weaker stomach might find parts of this book disturbing and sickening. This is no walk in the park this is a world full of tragedy and darkness. It holds nothing back and shows you a place that is ripped apart and dyeing. It is probably the most violent and gory Ya book I have read.

I could not recommend this book more highly. It is one of the best books I have read this year and is in my top three YA books of all time. I loved it, loved it, loved it and I literally cannot wait for the next book in the series, if it is anything like this then I know I am in for one hell of a ride.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Jun 2013, 07:34:05 BST
finches92 says:
Very informative. Thanks. Do you mind sharing your other top YA books?

Posted on 7 Jun 2013, 12:26:16 BST
Nelkon says:
I didn't buy it due to Kate's comments about violence and brutality...

Posted on 31 Dec 2013, 11:42:40 GMT
Fintan15 says:
Thanks for the heads up. Just the one word - America - said it all. I won't be buying it now. Why is everything set there! So dull!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2014, 20:15:37 GMT
Ditto!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2014, 23:01:10 GMT
I am so sorry it took me so long to reply to this comment. I honestly had no idea until today that it was here! Thanks for the feedback : )

My other top YA books include: Code Name Verity, Serephina, Arclight, Another Little Piece, The Immortal Rules, Insignia, All Our Yesterdays. There is also a pretty special book comeing out later this month called Maybe One Day which was heartbreakingly beautiful.

Sorry again : )