on 18 October 2012
In my workplace there is some cycnicism about relationship development and career progression. There is a perception that if one's face doesn't fit then the promotions won't transpire, and that the only way to progress is through ass-kissing. I used to think like that.

I won't say that I've gotten the promotion of my life since reading this, but it has been a relief to take the contents of the book as inspiration, permission and motivation to make interaction with not just colleagues, but strangers, friends and family more pleasurable. People have noticed the difference.

I've bought the audio book too, so that I can listen to it whilst travelling - it's a great reminder to be pleasant and the rest of the day usually goes more easily as a result when I remind myself of the principles.

I used to be very self-conscious about talking to people - especially superiors or strangers. This has helped me realise that interaction is meant to be a pleasure. Maybe there will be a pay-off for the minor investment in pleasantness, but there are surely disadvantages to how cool I was beforehand as a result of my insecurities. I can't describe how surprised I've been at how people have opened up to me with just a few pleasant words.

Well worth the investment in money and time.
What's this?