on 23 July 2000
I continue to wonder why for the over 19 years I have been on this planet I had never heard about this book and although I had heard about the famous brain surgery separating the twins joined at the head, I did not know who was behind this. However after reading Gifted Hands (thanks to a friend), I am not in the least ambivalent about the fact that Ben Carson, the main character has leapt out of the book to become my role model; that his exploits have become a challenge for me, spoors to lead me to my goal, and that his personality in a very large measure has become one which is definitely going to influence me (and yes positively) for the rest of my life.
This book enables you to know what determination can do and where it can get you, that nothing is impossible if you really want to make it possible. Different plants bear fruit at different times in their lives. You as a 'farmer' just needs to be commited to obtaining those fruits. The time it takes may differ from another 'farmer' because he is cultivating other plants.
It manifests what power there is in having faith in the Lord as well, that he is one who does not fail as long as we trust. Being a Christian, this book rejuvenated my faith. Ben Carson was one who had faith. He was not a fanatic but yet believed in what the Lord could do. He did his best and let God do the rest! That's one message!
This book urges one on to do the best in what he sets his hands to. If you are not prepared to do something well, then why do it in the first place. Ben Carson's yearn to succeed in everything he set his hands to is evidence of this. He defied the odds -financial difficulties, racial discrimination at times etc.
Ben Carson was black and he became a distinguished neurosurgeon. The combination of this two in the United States is what accentuates his accomplishment and one reason why this book will be motivational for a lot of blacks. But I believe you don't have to be black nor be an aspiring neurosurgeon to be inspired by this book. You just have to have that tiny spark - that little something which makes you feel you want to succeed in future, you want to excel in whatever you do, you want to do your best to help humanity - within you. Then I can tell you that this book is the air you need. The oxygen rich air which will blow over the spark and ignite it into a blazing flame.
Gifted Hands is the book for everybody!
0Comment| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details