5.0 out of 5 stars I like stoves., 28 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Trangia Spirit Burner with Screwcap (Sports)
It's true, I do. This is -not- an unbiased review.
Trangia burners last for ever. They are slow, need a priming pan mid winter, can be a pain to get to simmer and there are lighter stoves out there now. Pepsi can penny stoves are about as cheap and light as you can get, and if you build them properly are darn good too.
This is just the burner. It needs a pan rack and wind shield as well. I bought this as a backup/second unit for my Swedish Military kit so if one burner runs out, just light the second one, transfer the wind shield across and carry on. I could/should plan my fuelling better :-)
For making your own cookset, either a Trangia or Penny stove is perfect. Lets face it, there is nothing to go wrong. I don't do backpacking or bicycle touring, but do enjoy solo touring on my motorbike and to me, there is nothing more pleasant than being in the middle of nowhere with silence as company, watching the blue flame.
The forced relaxed pace over a gas stove adds to it for me. Add to that they almost never go wrong, are cheap to fuel and as simple as a stone.
Yes, I am a zealot. Those who used to use them and went to gas only regale me with tales of how good theirs was. Gas users mock us, but remain fascinated by our stoves and the rituals we perform to make our brew. More than once I've had "I've got to get one of those"
Come, join us on the slow side and see why we reject so many whizzo turbo flames having tried them and keep returning to our beloved Trangia and Optimus Primus type 96 stoves.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Jan 2012 21:16:59 GMT
StefZ says:
lol

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2012 22:43:08 BDT
Sean Cawood says:
Agreed - I use the MSR Dragonfly Multifuel Stove, it's great, but it's been 'beasted' and is now badly in need of a service - I alway's packed the Trangia burner as a lightweight - utterly bomeproof back up. It sits inside my military steel waterbottle mug (which can be multiused as a pan) with the brew kit (waterproofed) and you don't need anything else - the fuel in the burner alone will last ages... pack a spare liter of fuel and your set for a world tour! nothing else needed - I've used x3 6'' nails (or tent pegs) as a pan stand and just use a few stones if you dont have those - I think this design is about 50 years old (dont quote me) & there is a simple reason - it just works!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›