VINE VOICEon 5 December 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We ordered this as an upgrade to a Leapster Explorer. Our daughter already has several games for the explorer and they also work on this. However, as we don't yet own any LeapPad specific games it is difficult to assess whether it is worth making the upgrade for the games alone. At this point in time, I would suggest that it is not.

What this does offer however is a child-friendly version of an iPad or Kindle, with safe web access and it's own set of apps. In this regard it is competing with these products to a certain extent, and whilst it is clearly cheaper than an iPad, only time will tell as to whether the children like the idea of having their own, or return to the iPad. The reason for my caution is that there are some key failings with this product. It is an absolute pain to set up, even if you are not a technophobe. Ours does not connect to the internet at all, which I will admit is at least safe! Also, there is a pause as it loads apps or as the screen rotates. Compare this to the iPad, where our 5 and 3 year old both know what apps they are allowed to open, where they get an instant response, and where apps are very cheap. They can also use the camera on the iPad and take good quality photos.

There is a chat function on this which is great fun for the kids if you have two LeapPads. The devices can connect wirelessly and they can chat using pre-defined text and symbols.

The LeapPad itself seems to be well made and will definitely take a bash or two, although it did arrive with a single dead pixel. I also like the games as they are educational and the children enjoy them. However, if you already have an 'adult' tablet in your house and your children use it, then this may disappoint in certain areas.

I suspect that our children will like this product, but I would rather have it respond more quickly than have the quasi-internet access. I think it just needed a little more focus. The inclusion of a music player, internet etc. is not really worthwhile as the children can already easily access these things (under our supervision) in our house.
What's this?