TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 31 March 2013
I really want to like this especially as it's not exactly fee. Unfortunately the actual fact is that it is under powered for what it is trying to do. I wanted to stay in the Windows environment as I use if for everything else and being an engineer the reality is that Microsoft still rules. I did look at waiting for Microsoft to bring out their pro version of the Surface but firstly it is bloody expensive and secondly there was a bit of a wait.

I bought my Vivi tab in Singapore on a whim. I liked what I saw and thought that given the price - roughly the same as here in the UK - it was a guaranteed winner. Unfortunately I was not entirely correct in that and the old saying of you get what you pay for still holds true.

It can be slow. That's the problem. You end up swiping the screen in frustration sometimes trying to get the keyboard up or to change programs or apps. Yes, it eventually does work but when you have used an Android or iPad tablet it is frustrating. Now I'm not a Windows 8 knocker. I have W8 on my desktops (with admittedly the 'Start' button re-installed) and have a Windows phone which is brilliant. However the reality is that W8 needs a bit of power and the Vivo Tab just hasn't the guts to run it properly. If you look at what Microsoft is making - the Surface - there are two W8's in use. RT and Pro. The RT version is clearly a cut down OS made that way so it will run more slickly on less well powered tablets. To run the full version the Surface Pro you need a bit of grunt and the Surface Pro is quite a size in order to pack in the required processing power. The Vivo tab just hasn't the power to run W8 quickly enough to be slick.

On the plus side it seems to be well made and has a nice feel to the whole unit. Yes it doesn't come wrapped in some titanium case or similar exotic metal, however it does not feel cheap. Because of that I've decided to do a couple of things. Firstly bite the bullet and buy the Surface Pro so I can have a tablet that will run W8 full version quickly enough to not hack me off. Secondly I'm going to put Ubuntu for tablets on the Vivo tab when it is released. That should cut down on the need for high processing power and give me a general purpose tablet that will operate as smoothly as I want.

My advice. Look at the price. You are not going to get a full version of Windows OS running on a lightweight tablet so either face up and pay for something pricey or buy an Android tablet of iPad.
88 Comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?