VINE VOICEon 18 July 2008
I am a massive fan of Hybrid, and have been ever since 1999/2000 when I first heard their music, so readers of these comments may think that I am biased, but this review is a honest, unbiased opinion of what I think of the album.

It's a bit of a departure from the normal thread of Hybrid music, and I must be honest, this album was bit of an adjustment for me, having listened to Wide Angle, Morning Sci Fi, and I Choose Noise for the last few years. I was expecting upfront breakbeats, and you have to wait until around CD1 track 5 before there is any resemblance of a beat. So initially I was disappointed, but I listened to the first CD later on the same day, and I eased into the music a lot more. The quality of the atmosphere portrayed on the first CD is outstanding. I really hope that Hybrid integrate this soundscape feel into their next studio album as it's top notch, and the collaboration with Harry Gregson-Williams has been a smart move because the partnership works really well.

So the first CD is cracking, just don't expect any breakbeats. It's more like Chilled Out Europhia, but done extremely well.

The second CD is also very good, the mixes are done very fluidly, and none of the tracks become repetitive. The choice of remix tracks is very good, and on the whole, the CD sounds fresh. The quality of the tracks are on par with the classic techno and trance tracks from the late nineties (Cafe Del Mar, etc), and nothing like the Cascada-esque crud that pollutes the charts at the moment.

One last thing, the mastering of both CDs is fantastic. The clarity of the music is extremely crisp, and I really enjoy playing them in my car with the bass cranked up full. All-in-all, and excellent compilation and easily worth the money. Much better than the Hybrid Re:Mixed album that was an up-yours from Distinctive Records when Hybrid left them to join Hope.

Buy it!
0Comment| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?