HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 10 August 2012
First heard this back in 1969 and we were mightly impressed.

We were spoiled by being in a time when progressive music really took off and there were some really great bands out there like Jethro Tull, The Nice, Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac - Yes I know some people will say that some of those groups mentioned are not progressive but it was a time of really great music and you could actually get to see the bands play live.

This was a new one for us a Blues Rock Band and British at that.

Heavier than the other stuff we were listening to like the Fleetwoods more rockier and that's were this album succeeds it was not so Blues like previous efforts so it wuld put the more 'rock' preferring afficianadoes nor too far away from the blues that it would allienate Blues fans - it was an excelent cross between the two.

It was an impressive cover when gatefold sleeves with amazing art that you could carry under your arm- LPs were a very colectable and treasured thing then.
You'd pick up and peruse the covers as you listened to the music on your Dansette (Ask your Grand dad what that is).

I'd initially listen to my friends copy until I managed to buy one second hand. Money being very tight then and an LP was a big purchase out of your low wages or pocket money if still at school.

My version of this was the Canadian Release. The Canadian LPs were famous for having very heavy vinyl LPs and in this case the cover was on very heavy duty, dimpled cardboad with the inner sleeve picture glue onto the inners.

The Canadians had actually stuck the inners- the top of a face with the eyes across the gatefold on upside down!
I kid you not the eyebrows on my edition are UNDER the eyes.
(May be it's worth something now?)

So here we are with an improved sound in 2004.

It is a wonderful CD and of its time. It has not dated - but then again with the blues background they are eternal?

The album opens with a 'stonker' and does not let up for one minute.
Alvin sings well and plays even better.
The Backing is really good too.
Leo Lyons was a really Jazzy baseplayer- but good. Chick Churchil a good organist and ably supported by Ric Lee on drums.

A really great example of the excellent music of the times.
4 people found this helpful